Doughboy Pump

Old 06-11-06, 08:34 AM
Doughboy Pump

I have an aboveground pool with a Doughboy sand filter with a 1hp 10amp pump.Yesterday the pump started to squeal a bit. Not a real loud one like the motor is going into meltdown but more of a "I'm warning you what's about to happen" squeal. My question is do I have to use a Doughboy pump or can I just get a 1hp 10amp motor & replace it? If so what should I look for? Thanks in advance,Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-06, 12:18 PM
If you are a *REAL* DIYer then you will get a couple of $10 bearings and replace them yourself. Otherwise you caould take the motor off and take it to a motor repair shop and for about $60 they will do it for you.

Yes, you can find a similar pump with same size/length shaft and it whould work just fine. Be sure the motor is rated for the location you will use it.

Old 06-11-06, 03:38 PM
I think I'll go the bearing route.

Old 06-13-06, 03:34 PM
I have the pump off & cannot see how to get the impeller off the motor shaft. It's a Power Pak 2 Model# 0-1086-200
I can't tell if the squeal is coming from the motor or the pump impeller. Can any one point me in the right direction?

Old 06-14-06, 12:13 PM
The impeller is screwed right onto the shaft, usually. That particular model I cannot be sure of.

Some are on with left hand threads, and some have a cap in addition that screws into the shaft with right hand threads to secure the impeller on (after the impeller screws on.) The key is to look inside the end of the impeller and see if a hex socket will fit on to it. If so, it probably is the cap screw. Hold the impeller and unscrew the cap screw. Then, hold the shaft and unscrew the impeller.

Remember, the impeller might have left hand threads.

Old 06-14-06, 01:11 PM
I found a rubber plug on the end of the motor & it has a slot, I put a screwdriver on it & unscrewed the impeler off & got the shaft out of the case.Now I just need to try to get the bearings off.Not sure of how to tell if they are pressed on or not.

Old 06-14-06, 04:53 PM
They are most likely pressed in. But, not so much that you need a hydrolic press. Select the correct size socket from a socket wrench set to knock it out, and do the same to knock it back in.

Old 06-18-06, 10:29 AM
I'm sure this won't work... BUT, when I had the motor out I put a little oil on the bearings & now it is quiet as can be. It has been running non stop for 4 days & is still quiet. Like I say, I am sure it wont last but it will buy me a little time to find bearings. Thanks for all the help.