How long should my pump run?

Old 06-18-06, 11:17 AM
How long should my pump run?

I have an above ground pool 12'x28' 4' shallow end 6' deep end
(12,000 gals?) I have been running my pump 24/7 when it's in use.
(late April untill Sept) I have heard that you should leave it run long enough to turn the water over & do not need to run it 24/7. I have also heard that you should let it run always so that it is always filtering. It is heated & maintained at about 80 degrees. Any thoughts or better yet facts?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-06, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
Also the type of filter you have will have a bearing on the question. I run the pump on our in-ground with DE filter for 6 hours a day; longer when the temp goes down and I turn on the solar, 4 hours in the winter when we're not using it.

Old 06-18-06, 03:20 PM
i prefer my clients to operate their pools on a 24/7 schedule , but 8-10 hrs are adequate to ensure proper turnover, unless you have a oversize pump and filter system then you may reduce those times accordingly.
For the ones who have timers i recommend starting it 8-9am and run for a continuous 8-10 hr time, unless the pool is in use, then it needs to run during that time also.
this ensures filtration, along with a constant supply of sanitizer during the day when heat and sunlight takes a toll on chlorine (you may have something different).

Old 07-03-06, 05:16 AM
HLS
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The books recommend 8-10 hours, tried that, went back to running 24/7 for best results

Old 07-03-06, 11:18 AM
Smile

I have mine on a timer, goes off at 11:00pm and comes on at 8am. Never had a problem with water quality.

Old 07-03-06, 06:46 PM
when is it cool to filter a pool?

racefan,

i mostly deal with inground pools (28 in my region) i have found that running the filters/pumps thru- out the season provides
the best results. you don't have the upswing/downswing of the chemicals being out of balance. checking the chemicals after you just turn the pump on(or timed) will not give you a true reading of what is in the water no matter what the filter media is( d.e. , sand, cartridge,etc). also another thing to consider, if for some reason your pump loses prime and is on a timer, the pump will be damaged/destroyed. let us know what is going on, we are here to help.

barry

Old 07-07-06, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by brentwoodpmg

checking the chemicals after you just turn the pump on(or timed) will not give you a true reading of what is in the water no matter what the filter media is( d.e. , sand, cartridge,etc).
barry

When is the best time to get a water sample? After the pump has NOT run for hours, or after it has run for hours?

Last edited by Marc31605; 07-07-06 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-07-06, 01:07 PM
i pull samples from the deep end away from a return , the pools i service are run on a 12 hr or 24 hr. schedule , i normally pull samples while the pump has run for at least 4 hrs. or more , i use plastic bottles to take my samples and i take them at arms depth .

Old 07-22-06, 12:21 PM
Down here in Phoenix where pools are open 9-12 months out of the year, they recommend running the equipment 1 hour for every 10 deg. F.

Old 01-17-08, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by brentwoodpmg View Post
racefan,

i mostly deal with inground pools (28 in my region) i have found that running the filters/pumps thru- out the season provides
the best results. you don't have the upswing/downswing of the chemicals being out of balance. checking the chemicals after you just turn the pump on(or timed) will not give you a true reading of what is in the water no matter what the filter media is( d.e. , sand, cartridge,etc). also another thing to consider, if for some reason your pump loses prime and is on a timer, the pump will be damaged/destroyed. let us know what is going on, we are here to help.

barry
I used to run mine 12 hrs a day. However I found that due to the pump losing prime when off it did destroy my pump. It took two pumps before I realized this. Fortunately they were under warranty each time. I now run it 24/7.

Old 01-20-08, 08:39 PM
Cool How long should i run my pump.

You should run your pool long enough to circulate the entire pool volume once per day as long as the water temp is 70 or above. You can cut back to 4-6 hrs if the temp is below that. Very hard for algae to grow below that temp.Example 15000gal pool = avg pump moves 50 -55 gals per min. 50 x60= 3000 gals per hr x 5hrs gives you a 5 hr min run time. when water temp is above 80 try to run the pool long enough to get 2 full turnovers. This is not just 25 yrs experience talking its what the industry experts tell us at every seminar.

Old 01-23-08, 07:33 PM
for starters , you say the size is 12 x 28 x 4 ft. using the formula , you have 10,000 gal multiply length x width x ave depth x 7.5
most city / county codes require 1 turn over per 12 hrs. for a residential pool, for proper sanitizing, filtration etc.

however you did not state what type of filter [ d.e. / cartridge/ sand ] or size you have , also what size and model of pump do you have , as they don't all have the same ability to move a given amount of water.

steve