Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

How crazy would it be to bury a blow up pool?

How crazy would it be to bury a blow up pool?

Old 06-19-06, 12:52 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking How crazy would it be to bury a blow up pool?

Has anyone ever buried a blow up pool (bright blue, inflatable ring type) to the rim? I hope I'm not the only nut out there - has this crossed anyone else's mind?

Would it work? What could happen? I would think you would have to put soft sand around the whole pool and rig the filter system a bit but could it work? I've read threads last summer on how to possibly build a deck around them - turns out there's no solution, the space between the deck and the rim would make it dangerous for kids arms to get caught between. Just wondering if anyone has come up with a clever way to make the pool "less obvious and less blue!". I know another issue would be how to get a rigid enough platform around the ring to stand on - but I think I can work that out.

Old 06-20-06, 10:36 AM
E
A Friend of mine didnt bury his but he did dig a pit for it.

His plan is to use it as a sand playbox when the pool isnt set-up.

Old 06-20-06, 07:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
If you burry it... take some pictures.

1. I don't think it will work.

2. If you decide to try it make sure the pool is full of water.

3. Soft sand may not be the best choice. Since it does not compact it cannot support it's own weight. The sand will be pressing inward against the pool and sand is much heavier than water an will win. You could try soils that can free stand on their own (dirt that allows you to dig a trench with nice straight sides that do not collapse). All bets are off when you get a good rain.

If you want to burry something in the ground I would get a large feed trough or cut the end off a tank to make a proper redneck pool.

Old 07-18-06, 06:09 AM
K
Have you thought of instead of building a deck around the pool, to build the deck over the pool? This would get around the safety concern of a kid's arm or leg getting stuck between the pool and deck.

Old 07-18-06, 08:14 PM
B
inground inflatable pool

lynnec,
i'm laughing so hard right now i can barely type, are you one of those guys that at the race track and put a tarp in the bed of their pick-up truck and fill it up with water then get well lubricated
with your beer of choice(would'nt be a bad idea for next weeks race)? lol. just what size of pool are you talking about? are you talking about those big inflatables that have there own filter system ( god, i can't beleive i'm even thinking that this may be possible)? or a kiddy pool. o.k., i given it some thought, construct a level placement area, place a substrate to prevent puncture to the lining of pool structure(tarp, heavy duty poly plastic,etc.), make sure that said placement area is slightly smaller than the full extent of the fully inflated pool. place pool in the placement area,
inflate, but not to it's entire inflation set point, then start filling with two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen to the point( not to the point of over flow), then, fully inflate the pool which should apply enough external pressure to the substrate walls which in turn should allow more of the h20 to be filled to the pool area, as posted before rain water should be a concern to keep the structure from being undermined by wash off and all controls should be implimented to prevent such a occurrance.
keep in mind that the filtration system was not taken in to account (different type of engineer) compaction, soil samples, perculation (another engineer) of the said area of pool placement are not known and are at your own risk (which in all likly-hood will fail badly). not to mention that you will need to have a permit by your county to install a inground pool.

Old 07-19-06, 10:56 AM
Brentwoodpmg , don't knock the TRUCK POOL. this was the creative side of the brain at work. Not saying , We were the first , but when i was going to Myrtle Beach alot in the late 80's and early 90's , we were the only ones at the time doing it that i saw then it kinda snowballed into a fad . We didn't use liners, we would use a $3 tube silicone caulking and caulk the tailgate and drain holes and fill with water, then cruz down the BLVD and pick up bikini clad baby dolls . as far as burying a inflatable pool, it may or may not work but theres always a chance.

Old 07-24-06, 02:18 PM
C
Which is worse? lynnec for asking that question in the first place, or me for coming into the pools forum because I was wondering the same thing?

Old 07-25-06, 07:28 PM
B
hey, hey hey, i did'nt mean to imply that it was a bad thing, hell i've done it at the track more times than i can count, and at the campgrounds(feels great). i just wanted to get what an idea of where he was situated as far as the mason-dixon line (like that makes a lot of difference, seen the same stuff all over this great country). never heard of the caulk up method ( you were ahead of your time). i say, have tarp, instant pool.
and by the way champdog i say go for it as well as lynnec, how else are we going to learn.

barry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: