Pool Pump PSI is Zero

Old 06-29-06, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Pool Pump PSI is Zero

We recently moved into our new home in AZ and have an in-ground pool. Our pool pump just stopped working for no apparent reason. It is on warranty, but the pool company cannot come out to fix it before July 3rd. I've tried to "prime" the pump, per their instructions, by removing the cover and spraying water for 5-10 minutes, using a garden hose. However, when I turned the pump back on, there was still no water flow.

Is there anything else I can do before Monday, when the pool people come out? I don't want to "screw up the works" and void my warranty!

Thanks for any advice!

Meanwhile, I am getting a chlorine holder and chlorine tabs to help keep the water clean. I've netted out any debris. The pool is salt-water, but the pool company recommended that I do this to help prevent any growth of algae.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-06, 12:35 PM
To not void your warranty...

Do not operate the pump without it circulating, of course.

Make sure your pump has someplace to put the water that it is trying to pump. i.e. make sure your valve is set properly on the high pressure side of the pump. If you have a 6 way valve set it to recirculate, not to filter.

Make sure the water level in the pool is well above the skimmers and that the skimmers are not obstructed with anything. i.e. cleaning tools, plugs, etc.

Make sure that you do not have a Jandy valve (three way) closed on the suction side of the pump.

Open the pump basket and inspect the rubber o-ring and seat for damage.

Use a 3-5 gallon bucket of water (no, a water hose is not good enough) and fill the bucket with water. Have your lid ready and pour the entire bucket of water into the pump basket and replace the lid. Probably want to screw it on a little tighter than recommended..

Start the pump and observe the water in the basket. Is there ANY movement of water at all? If not then you have an impeller problem that needs the warranty work. If you do then it is just a matter of clear inlet and outlet and no air leaks.

Look under the pump. Any water leaks indicating a seal leak? All plugs in the bottom of the basket and pump installed and tight?

Old 06-29-06, 01:18 PM
sounds like a fitting on the suction side may be pulling air causing it to lose prime.