the black algie is starting to come back

Old 07-11-06, 08:19 AM
the black algie is starting to come back

many of you may have seen my post about the black algie nightmare I had several months ago, well , its starting to make a comeback, finish is diamond bright, and now I actually believe that the previous homeowner may have diamond brighted over an existing algie problem, the finish seems so porus and brushing dosent do anything, I actually got into the water wit ha power washer and hit a few smaller spots, I put on a mask and got a real good look and it looks is if its reallt imbedded in the finish, months ago I drained, power washed and acid washed the pool, I guess the acid will not kill the algie ????

any ideas and thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-06, 09:33 AM
i feel your pain, that is the prolbem with gunite pools, if they aren't cared for correctly they will break the bank book. i would contact the previous owners and ask them if the had done any type of resurfacing on the pool, if so you may need to go drastic and strip the old plaster off and resurface, this is not going to be cheap. the only thing else i could think about is drain again and acid wash it again, let it dry out completly and do it again, and let it sit dry for a couple of days, hoping that the sun will do its job and kill that stuff!!!!

AS BEFORE , DRAIN AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

good luck.

Old 07-11-06, 07:16 PM
draining durring the dry season did not bother me, but we had about 5 inches yesterday and about 4 last week plus 8 the week before....I am not going to gamble with the water table like that here in central Florida this time of year........we got the house for a song, but the prev owner supposedly worked for a local builder and in my book was a real JOKE, we remodeled the kitchen and both baths to cover up his shotty work, I would not doubt it one bit he diamon brighted the pool himself , right over some existing black algie, actually went right over the old tile with new pool tile, the grout is chipping out and I can tell it was brown under neath

Old 07-12-06, 02:49 PM
you can wait it out, but with Hurricane season here, its gonna be a long time. you could try a super strong chlorination, that should be maintained for a week to 10 days, i'm talking some where in the 20+ ppm range. that may be the only alternative. i think your main prolbem is filtration, because you do still have a catrridge filter?
a sand filter is probably the most cost effective filtration where you get ease of use and effective filtration, a DE filter is the best filtration money can buy in pool care, however they are a pain to deal with when there is a prolbem . i don't want you to think i'm preaching here, but if you got poor filtration, you may never be able to get rid of the prolbem.

Old 07-15-06, 08:50 PM
still have the cartrage, I do also have poor circulation, I have a small submersible pump would it help to STIR UP the water durring super chlorination ???

Old 07-16-06, 08:19 AM
yes the water needs to circulate, but filter as well. the EXTREME superchlornation was just a thought, i have never had to do this before so attempt at your own risk, i DO NOT know what the side effects of this will come about, hopefully none, but be advised certian things need to be watched.
I know you don't want to hear me say it , but you really need to invest in a sand filter. if you are serious in remedying the prolbem, filtration and circulation is one of the key steps, this may not prevent you from ever getting a severe case again but will make life a lot easier if you do.