Repair Cool Decking around swimming pool

Old 07-17-06, 08:38 PM
Question Repair Cool Decking around swimming pool

Is it possible to re-coat the cool decking around my pool. It is about 25 years old and is deteriorating, exposing the concrete below. Is their a preparation that can be applied by the homeowner to the surface to replace what has worn away over the years?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-06, 12:14 PM
Hi Htipper,

I had the same problem when we bought our house a few years ago. I thought I would just patch it up. Found out it really isnt a feasible solution. When Cool-Deck is first applied, it's laid down over fresh concrete, so they bond and cure together. Putting cool-deck down over cured concrete will not allow it to bond properly and will just come right back up. Several people told me the reason mine was coming up was because portions of the concrete were already cured upon the cool-deck application process.

Your best bet would be Acrylic Lace. It looks the same as cool-deck but is made from an crylic compound and can be applied to existing concrete. Dealers say its approximately 2-3 degrees F hotter than cool-deck. I didnt really notice a difference.

Good luck to ya!