pool size

Old 07-30-06, 10:43 AM
pool size

I live inner city (Houston) and am looking to buy a new place. Lot sizes in my area are really small -- avg 2500 sq feet for townhouses, 5000 for freestanding houses. I'm not certain that a freestanding house is within my price range. One of my requirements is to have room for a pool in the backyard. The pool will mostly be used for entertaining (i.e. serving drinks in or around the pool) and I'm only planning a 5' deep 'sport' pool with a hot tub. It will also be secondarily used by my elderly parents for light exercise (they live nearby). Assuming no issues with easements, etc -- how big of a backyard do I need to install a small pool and hot tub?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-06, 09:47 AM
Lot of it depends on your local building codes. I have seen pools that take up 90% of the yard.

Old 08-01-06, 10:48 AM
oh, i don't mean from a code standpoint. There will be an easement along the back and I won't be able to put the pool closer than 5 feet to any existing building foundation. More or less, I am trying to figure out what size backyard I require in order to squeeze in a 'cocktail pool'. i'm even thinking that the hot tub wouldn't be required since almost all the places i'm looking at already have a jacuzzi tub. I just want to figure out how small of a cocktail pool I could do without it just looking like a fountain.

Old 08-01-06, 10:48 AM
oh, i don't mean from a code standpoint. There will be an easement along the back and I won't be able to put the pool closer than 5 feet to any existing building foundation. More or less, I am trying to figure out what size backyard I require in order to squeeze in a 'cocktail pool'. i'm even thinking that the hot tub wouldn't be required since almost all the places i'm looking at already have a jacuzzi tub. I just want to figure out how small of a cocktail pool I could do without it just looking like a fountain.

Old 08-01-06, 11:08 AM
That is a matter of preference. What are you comfortable with? A small sport pool with spa- 12' wide X 25' Long, 5' deep in the middle, 3 1/2' at the ends with a raised spa off the side @ the deepest point. You can go smaller or larger, the larger the pool the more it cost. If you go over 40' in length the engineering gets costly.