hot tub heating element

Old 07-31-06, 05:31 PM
hot tub heating element

Hi Guys, need some help. I have a marquis hot tub. The heating element trips the bkr. I lifted the wires and measured 14 ohms across them and at the terms. on the element. I measured infin. to the heater housing from both terminals. Any help is appreciated before i take the housing apart, witch is a 90deg. housing. Thanks, John

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-06, 05:44 PM
The heating element is good. Does it trip the electrical breaker or the high temp breaker?

Old 07-31-06, 05:49 PM
It trips the elec. bkr. Bkr holds with the heater wires lifted.

Old 08-01-06, 03:38 AM
Got an amp probe? Can you check the amp draw?

What size element is it? What voltage again?

Maybe I mis read your post. Forget about the ohms from wire to wire. Measure the heating element only, terminal to terminal without the wires connected. ~14 ohms? Then the element is good. Infinity from terminal to case is verification that the element is not shorted.

Was this heater working normally for a while and just now started acting up, or have you never seen it work correctly?

Old 08-01-06, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the help. Don't know what element is in there. I measured 15.6 amps @ 240 v. I noticed condensation on housing. Water temp is 68 because i just filled it. I dryed the terminals and housing around it til it was dryed. It ran at 15.6 amps for several min. til cond. built up then tripped. The outside temp is 92 now. Can the insulation around the terminals be breaking down or is it just tracking. I do not read a short from the term. to housing with the cond. there. It seems like it shorts at 240. John

Old 08-01-06, 06:49 PM
Doubtfull. What size breaker and what size wire is feeding this heater? And is there anything else on the circuit? Like the pump? If so, what is the pump amp rating?

Old 08-02-06, 08:06 AM
there is a 50amp bkr with #6 cop. There are 2 11/2hp pumps. The pumps run fine with the heater disc. One pump runs on low with the heater, it will trip just with the heater on alone.

Old 08-02-06, 09:36 AM
Intermitent shorts are hard to find sometimes. The sum of all your equipment is probably about 35 amps so your 50a breaker should do it. I would do a thorough visual on the entire system looking for loose or burned wiring. Maybe even remove and inspect the heating element. Look on the insulator of the element and you will likely see that it is a 3500 w 240 v element.

And, I would put the amp probe on a leg at the breaker and run the unit until it trips while I was observing the ampprobe. See if you observe a spike in amps, or a slow increase, or if the breaker trips at a lower than 50a value. I would not rule out a bad breaker.

Old 08-03-06, 04:42 AM
Is the breaker that keeps tripping a GFI breaker or a normal thermal breaker? If it is a GFI breaker you could have some leakage current to ground (heater housing). You can try covering the heater terminals with silicone to prevent condensation from causing leakage current. If this does not work then your heating element might have some fine cracks in it that expand when heated.

Old 08-03-06, 07:54 AM
Yes it is a gfi bkr. I'm going to put heat on it to keep it dry and run it that way to see if it holds. If it does hold i'll seal it up til it trips again and change the element. There was about a steady 16 amps on the heater when it tripped and did not jump as i was watching the amp probe. Thanks alot guys, i'll post how I made out. May take a couple days, going to be near a 100 again today. John

Old 08-11-06, 03:52 PM
I dryed the conn. on the heater element when huminity was low. Worked fine and heated tub. Must be a hairline crack. Going to drain tub and fix a leak, will scotchcote the element and start it up. Thanks for all the help. John