hot tub brand advice

Old 08-30-06, 11:14 PM
hot tub brand advice

i am a new home owner and i am looking for some advice on a brand and model. i am looking for a basic hot tub. any help would be great. thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-06, 11:48 PM
There are a few things to take into consideration. Do you know where you will put it? How many people do you plan on accommodating? Will it accommodate about 75 gallons per person? Will it support 150-200 lbs per square foot? Will it be insulated to save energy? Will it be acrylic, which lasts longer than fiberglass? Will you be buying from a dealer that will let you try it out like on HGTV, with your swim trunks on and feel the contours and comfort, flexibility of seating, feel the jets, and hear the noise? Are the jets strong enough? Are you more of a soaker and do not need lots of jets and the noise? Will it be worry free with a safety cover, automatic shutoff, temperature control? What is the maximum temperature setting and can you over ride it? Do you have to manually remove the cover or will it have a mechanical helper? Does it have a skim filter at the top instead of the filter at the bottom that can get clogged? Does it filter 24 hrs/day? Do you want stereo speakers built in? Do you want fiberoptic lighting for night? Will the dealer deliver and install? How much does this add to the cost of the tub? What are the warranties and service agreements?

Can you do the electrical? Cost to hire? Can you do the concrete slab? Cost to hire? What does it cost to operate each month?

Old 08-31-06, 01:36 PM
i just bought a used one since I only wanted something simple also and didn't want the large expense. There is some risk, but I figured with the savings I could buy a new motor and parts and still be ahead. I did look into CalSpa on the web and came across a consumer website that listed an enormous number of complaints with the tubs and company. It is normal to have complaints with any product, but the shear volume and variety of complaints steered me away from that product.

good luck.

Old 09-02-06, 11:45 PM
i am thinking a four person for size. i am the only one who will be using it 99%of the time. i will build a small platform next to my deck. i wouldnt care to much about the jets a soaker is more my speed. no bells and whistles just a small innexpencive soaker i guess. i am looking for something to come home from work and relax my muscles in. ive thought of building one but was scared away when i herd a story about someone being disembouled by the suction!

anyone with some brands that they are pleased with would be great!

thanks joe

Old 09-03-06, 11:48 AM
I've got a Sweetwater/Sundance that been really reliable. It's a six seater and prab more that you seem to want.

Looking around for a used one is a good idea. A lot of people seem to use it a lot for a year or two - then lose interest.

Check into Electrical costs/codes before buying - some of these take a 50 amp circuit, with some very specific codes when wiring. My building dept stated I had to have it 10 feet from the house (same as a pool)...

Make sure you install it so the access panel is "accessable" !!!

Old 09-06-06, 10:44 PM
the more i think about it a nice large whirlpool bath tub would be for the best. that would be better for resale as well, but thank you for all the info.