Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

chlorine high, do i need to shock to close?

Old 10-04-06, 06:02 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my chlorine level has been really high toward the end of the season. it is off the charts when i test it. this is the first year with an automatic cover.

do i have to shock the water before closing or can i just go with the chlorine levels i have know and keep an eye on it during the winter?

thanks

Old 10-04-06, 06:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts
Depends on how high it is, but if it's off the chart I would think you probably have a high enough level already. Why so high?

Old 10-05-06, 07:43 AM
R
it is high because this is my second year with the pool and i am still figuring out how to regulate chlorine. plus, we have the automatic cover and it preserves chlorine levels.

it just won't come down.

Old 10-05-06, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
If you don't have an automatic chlorine feeder, I higher recommend them. Mine holds about 10 - 3" tabs and has a dial to adjust the rate. Can't really tell you how often I have to refill it; I just check it once in a while and put tabs in as necessary.

Old 10-06-06, 07:16 AM
R
i have an automatic cholorinator too. i am still figuring out what to set the dial at.

when it is full, it seems to release more cholorine than when it has less tabs in it, regardless of what the setting is.

do you have this problem? do you have an automatic cover?

Old 10-06-06, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
No, ours is open all the time; it is screened (caged).

As far as i know, I've never noticed a significant difference in feeding rate. I keep it set between 1 1/2 & 2; it's about 10k gallons I believe. One thing I do have to do it occasionally clean the screen/grate in the bottom of the reservoir; it gets a little gunked up. Not sure if you have a similar setup.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: