Breaker/Possibly jet pump question

Old 10-18-06, 06:58 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Breaker/Possibly jet pump question

Hi all, I have a Maax Altantis hot tub. It does not have an ozonator and has a circ pump and a jet (blower) pump. It is hooked up to a panel with a 40 amp breaker (a double breaker I think) with a test button. I have reset this maybe 5 times in the last 3 years, maily due to the filter getting plugged and causing "Flo" issues.

A few weeks ago it started tripping and would run for about 12 hours and then trip again. The tub would heat to about the 80's, then die. I played with this daily for about a week. There are no obvious leaks, although my cover is damaged from last winter and water leaks into the tub with heavy rain.

A few nights ago I opened it up and disconnected the jet pump from the control panel. It had a "plug", so I tried it. It has not tripped since. The temp is currenty at 99 degrees and holding.

When I tested this all out a few weeks ago when it first started, I ran that jet (blower) pump manually for a few minutes. It worked fine - good pressure and no odd sounds/whining.

I am assuming that since this now works without the jet pump plugged in, that it is the cumprit. Is that a proper assessment? Is there anything I can do to try to fix the pump before I buy a new one?

One other question. From the heater, there is a bare copper bonding wire that is attached to the jet pump. What is the purpose of that? There is actually a second (same type of) wire coming from the heater, but it isnt attached to anything at all. What would be its purpose? There are no other bare copper wires to speak of.

Any help here would be fantastic!
thanks!

Old 10-20-06, 06:04 AM
F
Smile progress...?

Ok, so I re-connected the blower (jet) pump after 2 days of the pump working without tripping. A day after that, I put the filters/skimmer basket all back in place. Almost a day in and it is still running fine. The last part of the equation is to put the 4 foot panel back that I used to access the contol panel.

So my questions:
1. Would water/moisture cause the breaker to trip?

OR

2. Can excessive heat from the compenents cause the breaker to trip?

I am happy it seems to be woking now, although I dont see what I have doen to make it happen.

Old 10-24-06, 08:53 AM
F
Smile fixed it

Just to be helpful to the forum:

My problem is indeed solved. I must have had a less-obvious contact with moisture on it. I used a hairdryer to dry out everything "for sure" and have had no issues since.

Old 10-30-06, 08:43 PM
L
moisture can do that looks like you got it licked

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: