Pool Resurfacing

Old 03-05-07, 03:37 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pool Resurfacing

Our inground plaster pool has several new leaks this year. We has several patched last year, and now here we are again. We have been wanting to retile the pool as well. We ordered a how to video on Ultra Guard, and epoxy polimer something coating that it supposed to bind to the surface, resurface and repair leaks. However, we are scared to do this ourselves after reading about pools lifiting out of the ground when drained. Has anyone heard of this product, or tried to resurface themselves? How do you prevent the pool from lifting out of the ground?

Brandi

Old 03-14-07, 11:11 AM
T
With respect to pools lifting out of the ground this is caused by a high water table vs an empty pool. The ground water in effect pushes the empty pool shell up. If your water table is way below the depth of your pool you should have no issues. We live in Florida and the pool we resurfaced the water table was about 22 ft and the depth of the pool was 8 ft, now mind you that you want to complete the resurface ASAP and fill when pool is properly cured.

I took a look at the Ultra Gaurd but elected to go with an epoxy paint from Olympic called Zeron based on some research. First we pressure washed then acid washed the complete pool, patched cracks and holes with elastomeric patch (Lowes) then dried the pool and applied the thinner.
Next day we applied the epoxy by roller and done, the prep work was more time consuming. Pool had to be cured for 4 days prior to fill, but all in all it was easy.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-14-07, 07:16 PM
M
Smile My DIY Pool Resurfacing Experience!!!

We bought a home with a pool that needed a serious overhaul. I spent dozens of hours seaching online for the best product and advise on DIY pool resurfacing products. Several months later, we decided to go with Nelsonite Pool Coatings.

First, we powerwashed, then acid washed, then powerwashed again. Then we chipped away any old soft loose plaster and patched it with new plaster. We let it cure (dry for a few days) and applied the Nelsonite Hi-bild primer with an oil base medium paint roller. Once it dried, we applied a single well applied coat of Nelsonite Poolpoxy Hi-bild.

After approx. 5 days of drying we began filling the pool. The surface is very smooth and you should mix in fine silica sand to Poolpoxy Hi-bild on steps and any other surface you want to be non-slip.

We are very happy and proud from the results of our DIY resurfacing project. The most time consuming portion of the project was the surface preparation. It is an extremely important part of the project and if not done correctly it will probably ruin the entire project.

Most of the professionals will tell you that it isn't a job that you want to attempt yourself. This may be true if you dont have the patience. It most definitely doesn't take a rocket scientist (no disrespect to the professional guys who work hard and create beautiful pools). If you have the time and want to save a ton of $ (we spent about $1,500 for supplies), I say "go for it".

The surface of my pool is gorgeous. We went with a white coating. The surface is similiar to a ceramic shell coating. ONE OF THE BEST THINGS ABOUT OUR NEW POOL SURFACE IS: any algea in the pool does not attach to the walls of the pool but instead falls to the bottom and sweeps up very easily. The only drawback to the product is it makes a very slick surface but this can be avoided by adding the silica sand.

Just wanted to share my experience in hopes it makes yours decision a little easier

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: