Pool Leak?

Old 03-27-07, 06:25 PM
Pool Leak?

I have a courtyard home with an inground pool in the middle. By courtyard I mean all the rooms are located along the perimeter of the pool and therefore the pool is surrounded by a monolithic concrete slab foundation. There are two inlets in the pool, a bottom drain and a skimmer at the top.

When I filled the pool to about the top, after one day the water level will drop to the level of the skimmer lip. At first I suspect a leak in the pool shell but then it should not stop at the skimmer lip.

I then fill the water up again to 4 inches above skimmer lip, then "plugged" the skimmer lip and water level did not drop, that tells me the pool shell itself is not leaking.

Next I pulled out the plug and then went to the other side of the house where the skimmer pipe emerges from the ground and shut off that valve. The water level drops.

So I think there is a leak between the skimmer lip and the valve on the other side of the house.

How would I go about determining where this leak is? The house being a courtyard home configuration, the pool filter is on the other side of the house and the skimmer pipe is buried under the concrete slab.

Any idea how to find the leak and repair it?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-07, 05:01 AM
I hate to say it but it sounds like you're going to have to dig it up and replace it.

Old 03-28-07, 03:49 PM
in between the skimmer at the edge of the pool and the valve that is near the filter is about twenty six feet. about eight feet of that is brick paver and the rest of the nineteen feet reinforced concrete slab with poured concrete walls and a roof on top, cannot really dig it up.

Isn't there a way to determine the exact location of the leak? a cable with a camera attachment? and some sort of an epoxy liner technology that can fix a pipe leak?

MC

Old 03-28-07, 04:12 PM
You may be able to get a plumbing company to run a camera through it for sure. As for a leak fix other than replacing it I can't think of any.

Old 03-28-07, 04:19 PM
The "odds" are that the leak is where the pipe/hose connects to the skimmer.

You will have to cut ( or hire someone to ) the concrete around the skimmer to get to it.

Old 03-31-07, 09:27 PM
OK I had a pro here...

I called a leak detection service to come out. They guys said he will be able to find the leak in an hour.

By playing with the pump filter and the valve he determined that the leak is not in the skimmer line but from the main drain. The skimmer line is getting the suction he said.

The main drain is sucking air.

There are two lines that comes out of the concrete foundation each with a valve. Since the water leaks only to the skimmer lip level he determined the leak to be at where the main drain pipe comes vertically up to about six to eight inches from the top and turns a 90 degree elbow. A break there will establish a hydrostatic pressure to the same level in the pool.

But he was not able to tell me where exactly this elbow is.

He speculated it could be one of three spots where the main drain comes up. He suggested one spot is where they should start digging and he is "70%" sure it's the right place.

There is no way he can verify exactly where.

The problem is, all around my pool is a brick paver 2" thick, sitting on a 4" thick reinforced concrete slab. He has to break the bricks then jackhammer the slab to open up an hole just to look. I am not comfortable with doing this just to take a look.

I thought leak detection would pin point leaks, he said his job is to confirm leaks...to fix the leak is additional money, which I have no problem with. But I have a problem with opening holes in concrete when they have no clue where the leak is.