Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Pool Pump won't prime-no water coming in-help

Pool Pump won't prime-no water coming in-help

Old 04-09-07, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Pool Pump won't prime-no water coming in-help

I noticed the pool vacuum was not working when timer came on so I took apart the top of the little primer basket and took out a ton of leaves. It says fill with water before starting. When you pour in water it just comes out the hole at side where another tube comes in. We have just moved here and vacuum was working fine until leaves clogged it up. Leaves were in the little basket by pump, i think it is called the primer basket or something like that. I tried to find pump on internet Hayward site but this one not listed. I need to find out where handle should be for skimming, vacuuming and such. We have no manual and cannot figure out where the lever should be. There are three places to turn it. It is a hayward model something or other that I cannot read with N120 at the end. It is a super 11 pump self priming. Pool and Spa Pump 193E. I turned it on for 15 minutes and all that happened is the water in the little primer basket got really really hot. I took out the long tall filter and hosed it off and put it back in and turned lever tight. Pressure guage reads zero now. I think it was 15 before. I tried to fill the tall filter can thingie with water but it too keeps running off into the other tube. I wonder could the tubes be filled with leaves, but I could not see or find any in there. It seems water is not coming from pool to go through primer part and into filter part. I must have lever turned wrong way but I tried all three ways and nothing happens. It is driving me nuts. We have a brand new hayward vacuum head so that is not it. When I put my hand on hole in wall where hose goes there is no vacuum suction at all. Thanks for any help. I am pretty good at everything except electrical stuff.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-07, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
I'm going to have a go at it based on our pool, but this may not be totally accurate.

Your three way selector valve possibly is for skimmer, main (bottom drain/inlet), and both. FWIW, I can never remember which way is skimmer and which is main until I flip it one way or the other when I'm hooking up the vacuum hose. Try this, if the plumbing is right: Take lid of the skimmer at side of pool & remove basket (possibly your basket is missing? It should have caught leaves entering suction side to pump). There might be two outlet holes in the bottom, one for overflow and one to the pump. Stretch out a hose, turn it on full, and stick it in one of the holes. Check your overflow to see if you're getting a stream; if you're not you've probably picked the right one (out to pump). Turn on pump. The flow of water into the skimmer plumbing may prime the pump. Have the selector lever in the center position so you're sure of getting flow to the pump. If you get it pumping, switch the lever back and forth so you can determine in which position it sucks from the skimmer and which sucks from the main. Mark the plumbing with a permanent marker. Other idea would be to remove primer cover on pump and run water from the hose directly into the pump inlet to see if you get any response. The pump will of course pump faster than you can add water from a hose, but you should at least hear the pump sucking. Be careful with the water around the pump and elctrical hook-ups.

Old 04-10-07, 11:58 AM
Smile Hey, thanks for the great info, it works now. YAY

Thanks so much. It is working fine. It drove me nuts all night, thinking why could I not fix it. I fix everything in the house, toaster, vcr, install new bathroom taps. I just figure it out and somehow I always get it to work. Pool was new to me. My husband is in a cast for six months. Thought he was 20 again and played basketball and someone fell on his leg, shredding all the tendons. So now I get to be the pool girl and try to fix problems there. Thanks so much.

Old 04-10-07, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
Well, don't keep us in suspense; what procedure worked?

Old 04-10-07, 10:48 PM
Talking Oh sorry, should have told you which one worked

Hey, the one Take lid of the skimmer at side of pool & remove basket There might be two outlet holes in the bottom, one for overflow and one to the pump. Stretch out a hose, turn it on full, and stick it in one of the holes. Check your overflow to see if you're getting a stream; if you're not you've probably picked the right one (out to pump). Turn on pump. The flow of water into the skimmer plumbing may prime the pump. Great news, still works, thanks, Linda

Old 04-10-10, 08:12 AM
Hope this helps!

I stumbled onto this post. This is my exact problem! I hope this helps me too. Thanks for the advice.