Astral Sprint pool pump problem

Old 04-21-07, 10:34 AM
Cool Astral Sprint pool pump problem

Hi all,
I rather stupidly left all three valves closed on my pool pump installation. When I notice the pool was gathering a few leaves I investigated and found the pump had stopped working. When power is applied, I can hear an electrical hum type noise but obviously something is stopping it turning. Can anyone give any advice please on further action?

Many thanks in advance !

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-07, 05:00 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not familiar with your particular pump motor, but if it's humming but won't actually run you may have a bad capacitor. The capacitor is supposed to give the motor an extra OOMPH to get it started when the power is applied.
May have cooked the motor generally, too, by having the intakes closed.

Old 04-21-07, 11:37 PM
thank you

It's back to the shop with the motor then !
Cheers.

Old 04-23-07, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator
There are also some spring/centrifugal contacts in there that could be bad/corroded/etc, but that's fairly specialized work as with the capacitor. Post back when you find out.

And I neglected to ask an obvious question, can the motor be turned manually, i.e. will it spin freely or is something physically preventing it from turning?

Old 04-27-07, 05:25 AM
Smile

hi
now I have some free time, I'll check to rotation possibilities and let you know. Sorry to have a taken so long to reply.

Cheers

Old 04-27-07, 09:41 AM
rotation

the shaft seems to be rotating fairly freely, the low groaning ( ie expensive ) noise continues when the power is on.

Old 04-27-07, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
Don't give up hope, it may yet only be a capacitor or contacts problem which should be a lot cheaper than replacing the motor.

Old 04-28-07, 08:38 AM
result !

Thank you for your support. I took the whole thing to bits, made sure all was rotating properly and re-assembled, and bingo ! it works perfectly.

I certainly helped to know there was someone there who knows what they are doing and to give support and encouragement.

If you are in the Malaga area I owe you a beer !

Regards

Meseta.

Old 04-28-07, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
San Miguel!

Should have warned that the capacitor stores a charge in order to do it's thing when you turn it on the next time. If you're not careful it'll knock you on your butt. I suspect you maybe had a bad connection somewhere or some corrosion on the contacts for the capacitor. Good job.