Unearthing a pool

Old 05-03-07, 01:58 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Unearthing a pool

I've got a contract on a house that had a pool until about 4-5 months ago. The pool needed about $3,000 in work and the guy flipping the house (first time he has ever flipped one) just filled the pool in with dirt. I'd like to excavate the pool but I don't know where to start or if it is even worthwhile. The pump remains in the back yard and I understand he had about 10 loads dumped. Trying to get more info, like "did he punch holes in the bottom of the pool" etc; but haven't gotten a response yet. Has anyone ever done this and would they do it again? And if you did it, where did you start and what was the approximate cost?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-07, 11:44 AM
not a pro, so probably not the advice you're looking for, but i had to put in my 2:

i can't even imagine that it would be cost effective to unearth that thing. they'd have to be careful to not crush the walls with the heavy equipment. and it probably DOES need a ton of work. and now it's stained with all the dirt. what a mess!

then again, if you're willing to put in a whole new pool - in the same location - you're going to HAVE to dig up the old one. ie added expense.

gee......what a situation!

i think you're best course of action would be to contact a pool contractor & ask them if it's even possible to resurrect a buried pool - i can't imagine that it is. also, try to find a pool place that maybe did maintenance on the pool & could tell you some history about it. that's what we did. we use the same pool company that the previous owners used, just because they're familiar with the pool & they know what was done to it in the past. they might tell you that it's not worth saving.

sorry.....

Old 05-18-07, 10:01 AM
J
We investigated this same thing for a house we were interested in buying. They had punched holes in the bottom. Assuming that the rest of the concrete would need patching, fixing these holes was not a big deal. If they did not bore holes, prepare for a big mess when the water fails to drain.

An estimate we got was pretty much the same as a new pool installation. You may be slightly ahead if the pump still works and the decking is good.

We did not buy the house.

Old 05-21-07, 06:01 PM
if its gunite it may be possible, but a lot of work. depending on the installer it my be able to support a bobcat loader WITH TRACKS . they can get the most out then do the shovel work.
then you will be able to access the damage . if there are no holes in the structure you could repaint or replaster , both are expensive if done by a pro, however you can DIY paint.
if its a vinyl pool just start from scratch, you'll come out cheaper.