Hayward pool heater H250

Old 05-13-07, 07:30 PM
Hayward pool heater H250

I have a Hayward H250 natural gas pool heater. I removed the burner assembly prior to start up to clean the gas and pilot orifices of spider webs. I have reinstalled the unit and It will not work properly. With the thermostat turned up and the heater switch on, the pilot light lights and stays on, but the burner will not fire up. I used a ohm meter to continuity check the high limit sensor, the on off switch, The two limit switches, the pressure switch, and the thermostat. The manual trouble shooting guide recommends using a jumper wire across the two "TH" terminals on the gas valve to check for correct operation. When I do this the main burner lights, the odd thing is when I remove the jumper wire the burner remains lit until I shut off the switch. The burner will not light again until I use the jumper again. When I pulled off a wire from one of the sensor switches the gas valve shuts. I guess the safety circuit is ok, but why won't the gas valve open without me jumping it? This problem has me really perplexed. Please help if you have any Ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-07, 02:56 AM
Check the voltage of the thermopile. Take your voltage meter set to DC and with the pilot lit and burner off, check the PP and TH/PP terminals on the gas valve. You should be getting in the ball park of 400 to 450 millivolts (mv).

Old 07-29-07, 12:00 AM
hayward 350 pool heater

My heater will not fire up. The mode light is illuminated, but will not change from standby to pool or spa. No error codes are being displayed. Unit is brand new, but it has been 6 weeks or so since last used.

Just installed new pool filter, but cannot see how that could have affected the heater.

Old 05-26-09, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by jbrandon View Post
My heater will not fire up. The mode light is illuminated, but will not change from standby to pool or spa. No error codes are being displayed. Unit is brand new, but it has been 6 weeks or so since last used.

Just installed new pool filter, but cannot see how that could have affected the heater.
I had the same problem with mine - the entire baord needed replacement