Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

teledyne laars pool water heater help need

Old 06-01-07, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I just aqiured an Teledyne Laars pool water heater series 1 propane 250 btu.
I was tring to see if it works. I hooked the water up it and the pool. Then I hooked a propane 20 lb bottle up to it. At this point I stated to pilot light. It lit find and stays on. The flame appears to be week. At this point I tried to start water heater but nothing happened. This is a simple unit. What can I do to see if this heater is good or not? Please help

Last edited by 1950desoto; 06-01-07 at 04:25 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-07, 02:04 AM
H
Teledyne pool heaters are relatively simplistic as stated. However, as simple as they are, they are not very forgiving if you are not familiar with the operation with them.

Just a few quick trouble shooting ideas:

First, check to make sure the burners are clear of any debris. This includes spider webs. Also make sure the heat exchanger is clear. Being this is a used heater, this is important.

Next, with a ohm meter, check the TH and TH/PP terminals of the gas valve. Do this with the heater (gas) off and the pool pump on. If you are getting continuity, then the main safeties and switches should be good within the heater. If you do not get continuity, then there could be a bad switch or wire. Then you need to check each switch (limit switches, pressure switch, roll out switch, etc.)

Then you need to see if you are getting the proper pressure at the gas control valve. At the inlet of the valve, you should have between 11 and 13 inches water column. Check this pressure with the heater off first, then on.

Chances are, once you turn the heater on, you will never get the proper pressure with a 20# tank. The gas inside the tank (liquid form) will not be able to vaporize quick enough for the demand of the pool heater. For the heater to operate properly, you will need at least a 100 gallon tank.

If you do not understand any part of this post, chances are checking out the pool heater is not something you should attempt. I can't rehiderate enough, as the theory of a pool heater is simple, you don't want to find out the hard way that you don't know what you're doing. Gas is not something that you should figure out as you go along. The consequences aren't worth the money you'd safe having an expert check it out.

Old 06-05-07, 03:02 PM
teledyne laars series 1 pool heater

Thank you for the information. I tested the terminals for continuity as you suggested. It was good. I check the tubes leading to the pilot. The part, that I think is called the lighter tube orifice, was stopped up. I cleaned this out and put it all back together. Now I have a nother problem that I did not have before. The pilot light is not staying on. What is the function of the Pilot burner generator? I would like to understand how this system all works.
If it is going to work I will have to be the one to fix it, I don't want to put a lot of money into it. I understand the safety conserns and I am being very careful. Each time I work on it I check for leaks with soapy water.
Thank you in advance for any more help you may have.
Billy