Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Pool vacuum sucked in liner while cleaning ???

Old 06-05-07, 07:37 AM

Hi Folks. Great Forum!

I have a 2 year old 24' round above ground pool. While opening the pool last week, my vacuum sucked up part of the liner (4 inch section) in the center of the pool leaving a small but noticible wrinkle in the liner (hopefully it didn't tear the liner). Is this a common occurrence? What could have caused this to happen in this one small section? Is there any way to avoid it in the future. For what it's worth, I have an EC50 Hayward DE filter and a 1 HP Flow Max Pump. The Pump operates at 16 PSI (with a clean DE charge) when vacuuming. In advance, I thank you for all your feedback. Rich.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-07, 09:05 AM
Really? You wouldn't think the liner could be sucked in with all the water weight on it...very strange. Your pump must really be pulling hard. It may be you need to change to a different bottom cleaner (ie. one that won't have the suction hole too close to the liner) Did you install the pool/liner. There must have been some irregularity under the liner for it to be sucked in.
You should be able to get into the pool and smooth it out with your feet.
good luck

Old 06-06-07, 04:15 PM
i venture to think that the brushes on the vac head are probably worn and need to be replaced. while i have never had a section pulled up as you spoke of , i have had the vac head stick to the bottom, due to the amount of suction the pump was supplying.

Old 06-06-07, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

The vacuum head has only been used about 6 times, so the bristles are in excellent shape. I'm wondering if maybe the pool floor is a little uneven in the area I vacuumed which caused the inlet port on the vacuum head to come into "close contact" with the liner. Just a guess??? In any event, I think I need to put some type of "emergency shut-off" switch up on the pool deck area in case the same thing happens again so I don't have to pull the vacuum head to release it from the liner.

Thanks Again!
Rich