spa hairline cracks

Old 06-05-07, 02:02 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
spa hairline cracks

I have a Leisure bay spa that got many hairline cracks in the wintertime while empty. It works fine and appears not to leak water. I was wondering if there is anything I should do to fix these cracks that apear to be in the gelcoat?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-07, 02:55 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
well, the first thing is; is there a warranty? If so, I would contact the dealer/manufacturer for direction

if no warranty, not that is would change much but is it gelcoat or is it acrylic? Most spas I have seen are acrylic. Gelcoat is an inferior product for this appplication.

In either case, you would want to prevent any water from passing through the cracks and into the fiberglass substrate. It will deteriorate the glass.

A sealer would be called for. I would speak with the dealer/manufacturer as to any recommended sealers.

I don;t know if a car wax could withstand the heat and chemicals but something along those lines would seal the cracks.

Try the manufacter or dealer.

Old 06-05-07, 08:03 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, it is probably acrylic. warantee is prorated. they offered to give me a prorated amount off a new spa but I did not want to cough up another $4K. They said there was no way to repair it but i think they wanted a new spa sale. I even had a tech come out and take pictures to see if the warantee would cover it but he had no suggestions either. I like the wax idea but I think it would soften too much in the hot water and chemicals. I may try to ask a company that resurfaces bath tubs.