teledyne laars EG 325 heater problem

Old 06-05-07, 04:59 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
teledyne laars EG 325 heater problem

I have a Teledyne Laars EG 325 heater. It was here when we bought the house in 2001. Here's the problem - there are seperate returns to the pool and the spa. We have a pilot light that is good and as long as both the pool and the spa return are open the heater fires up, just like it's supposed to. As soon as we shut off the pool return half way, the heater turns off. If we open the pool return back up, the heater fires up. Can this be as simple as replacing the pressure switch and syphon loop assembly? I've called our pool guy and he said to replace the heater (he didn't even come look at it). I've called Jandy they said call a technician. The closest technician is 1 hour away and is booked until August.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-07, 02:01 AM
H
If there is a malfunction with the heater, it's the pressure switch. Not knowing the pressures when you throttle back the valves, it may not be faulty at all. It may just be doing its job by detecting low pressure and shutting down the heater.

Old 06-06-07, 06:13 AM
S
what now?

Up until now, the heater has worked great with just the spa return open. What should I do now? Replace the pressure switch?

Thanks

Old 06-07-07, 12:05 PM
S
Question heater not working

Here is a little more detail. The water goes from the pool pump to the heater. Then to the returns - pool and spa. I can have both returns open or one closed. If both returns (heated water coming from the heater and then going to the pool and spa) are open the heater is happily making warmer water. When I close the pool return and the heated water is only going to the spa the heater shuts down. If I close the return to the spa and leave the pool return open the heater stays going. So, it only shuts down when the water is going to the spa only. Strange....
Any suggestions?????

Old 06-08-07, 03:25 AM
H
Check the water lines to and from the spa. There may be a blockage causing a pressure drop. Something a simple a skimmer full of debris will prevent the heater from working.

Old 06-08-07, 11:20 AM
S
Smile checking water lines

ok, thanks...it's on the weekend project list....I'll let you know