Inground swimming pool bonding

Old 06-07-07, 10:05 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Inground swimming pool bonding

I am told that my old concrete inground swimming pool should have had all the metal parts,such as diving board, ladder,etc. joined together and connected to the rebar in the concrete.I believe this is called equipotential bonding.I have know way of knowing whether my pool is bonded .Is there a way installing this bonding or getting the same protection, without tearing up the pool?My neighbor said I shouldn't have the pool pump running when someone is in the pool,as one could possibly get shocked.I do have the pool pump and light on seperate circuits with GFCI protection.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-07, 02:45 PM
M
pump shock

Tell your neighbor to go swim at the Y or any public pool and they'll see thousands of people swim every day with the pumps running. That is to filter all the hair and body oils and any other stuff that gets in the water bugs debree etc. If by chance the pump seal should fail and water gets to the motor it will shut off your circuit breaker and pump the stop thats the reason we ground things properly and use circuit breakers.

If you have a lot of splashing and your water levels fall below your skimmers you could risk over heating the pump and destroying it not exactly if a pump ever quits working always replace the capacitor in the pump before buying a new one. just a good tip.

Old 06-09-07, 05:01 AM
H
Just because you pool components are grounded, don't assume they're bonded. Grounding and bonding are two different things. All electrical components (pump, heater, lights) need to be grounded for reasons mpbasspg explained.

That in its self doesn't create an equipotential field where differences in potential build up between metal components. One of the most common reasons for this build up would be a lighting strike. This is not the only reason for the build up. Equipment failure can also produce the differences in potential.

To prevent this problem, it is required that all metal work systems of a pool be bonded. This is achieved by tying in the pool, pump, heater,(etc) to the neutral bar of the electrical panel.

Back to the question at hand. To tell for sure if your pool is bonded properly you would need an electrician.

You may also find additional help by posting in the electrical forum on this site.