Pool filter allowing fine dust into pool

Old 06-10-07, 07:17 PM
Pool filter allowing fine dust into pool

I'm at my wits end on this one. I have a 150lb sand filter. For the past two seasons it's been allowing fine dust into the pool. Since then I have checked and rechecked the laterals, the standpipe, replaced the spider gasket, and also changed the sand to Zeobrite. Still happening. My water chemistry is perfect so I know it's not algae. If I put a panty hose on the return it will catch the fine dust and it doesn't make it to the bottom of the pool.

That would be fine to keep doing but not only does it look awful but I want to get to the root of the problem. I don't know really what else to do at this point.

I also have a 1.5hp pump but it came as a package so not sure if the pump being too powerful is the problem. Also installed a ball-valve which I have closed a little bit to reduce the power of the pump.

I also always vac the dust to waste to not put it back into the filter yet it continues to go into the pool.

I have to admit I do backwash the filter often and have been given some advice to allow the pressure to rise a bit on the filter, that dirty media filters better than clean media.

Any advice/suggestions out there? This really has been driving me crazy.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-07, 01:22 PM
I use a panty hose over the skimmer basket to catch small stuff (bugs) from going into pump basket. You can also use a return net to catch stuff that the filter might be blowing thru. I have a big round sand filter too, and use mystic white (angular filter sand that filters much better than regular pool sand), but I bought a big box of DE last year and after I clean/backwash/rinse
I put about 2 cups of it into the skimmer. It goes into the filter and stays on top of the sand, filtering out the really small stuff the sand sometimes misses. Hope this helps.

Old 06-11-07, 05:55 PM
sounds like you have a hairline crack in the tube in the center of the filter or in a lateral. i agree you can use DE as a filter aid. start with a small amount first.
as far as pressure , use the 10 psi rule. do a fresh backwash and rinse and note the startup pressure, when the filter pressure rises 10 psi over startup then do a backwash.

Old 06-11-07, 05:57 PM
I do use DE as well. I wish there was a crack in a lateral or standpipe but I've taken it apart 4 times now and can't see any at all.

It seems to only happen when the filter first kicks on if that will give any clues.

Old 06-11-07, 06:06 PM
did the dust start before you began to use DE or after

Old 06-11-07, 06:08 PM
Before so I tried the DE, but when I do add the DE I can see some making it's way back into the pool.

Old 06-16-07, 01:59 PM
i still belive its a hairline crack somewhere. the only way to determine it is by pulling each lateral again and doing a close examination of each, as well as the upright tube in the tank. it caould be in the base of the tank where the laterals go also.
i hope you find it, if not you may need to repalce it.

Old 06-19-07, 03:08 PM
I'm new to your forum and don't want to step on any one's toes but I've always been told by the filter manufacturers that a small amount of dust/residue was normal after backwashing. I have a 24" Sta-Rite Stainless steel sand filter and it has always done this. It only lasts for ~5 seconds or so and is insignificant. If its dusting for longer than that then I agree you have a problem.

Now my other reason for registering and imposing on your forum. I need a set of laterals for my filter and don't know where to begin looking. My pool supply houses in the area don't have a clue and want to sell my a new filter, but this 24" stainless filter has a ton of life left in it. Anyone know where I can find universal laterals? They don't have to be OEM. I can make them work as long as they fit a 24" round filter.

Thanks and regards.

Clemmojoe

Old 06-19-07, 04:33 PM
I use www.pool1.com for all my filter parts and click on "small parts". If you don't see the part online give them a call and they will probably have it just not listed on the website. I have an Astral and the parts are very hard to find. A bit pricey for shipping/handling but the parts are cheap enough.

Not sure about universal filter parts. I have seen them at my local Namco pool store but haven't had good luck with them fitting into my filter.

Old 06-19-07, 09:48 PM
Nicole12,

We've had the same problem twice now - both times it was a crack in one or more of the panels in the filtration. The first time it happened it was going on a long time before we finally saw anything and ended up having to replace all the panels. (Letting the PSI get too high can cause the cracks - we have also done it accidently when putting the panels back in after cleaning them.)

Hope this helps.

Old 06-21-07, 07:58 AM
Old style laterals, pancake type mesh

For all you guys and gals out there that have the older type sand filters with the flat type mesh laterals! As I indicated in an earlier thread I was looking for a new set of laterals for my old Swimrite Satellite stainless steel 24" sand filter.

I searched and searched but couldn't find anyone that could help me so I had to get innovative.

You'll never believe what solved my problem (I think), so far so good.

I used the black landscape cloth that you use under mulch and gravel to keep growth from coming through, and regular fiberglass screen. I cut 6 fiberglass screens and 3 of the landscape cloth using the old mesh as a pattern and made 3 mats using the fiberglass to sandwich the cloth. I stitched the three pieces together on my Brothers sewing machine and stacked them in the bottom on top of the plastic grid, filled with 250 lbs of sand and voila' I'm back in business.

Just thought I'd share this in case there's someone out there that might be experiencing this same problem or might be in the future.

Regards,

Joe

Old 06-21-07, 07:53 PM
Nicole, When you say fine dust, is it sand? Sometimes inspecting the laterals will not show anything however the laterals could be bad. I would take sand out again, pull the hub that the laterals screw into and check it. Be sure if your filter has a air relief tube coming up from sand that it is intact and has its small filter on the end. I would also go ahead and replace the laterals at this time. PLEASE make sure when putting sand back in filter to FILL filter half way with water before any sand is added.

Clemmojoe, I've been in the pool industry for 22 years, I've never heard of your "fix" its one for the books. If it does not hold for you, let me know and I will get you the part number and where you can find your laterals.

Good luck to both...

Old 06-22-07, 02:49 AM
It seems to only happen when the filter first kicks on if that will give any clues.
Does this mean your filter is on a timer and it runs part of the day, or do you mean right after backwashing? If after backwashing, are you rinsing for a sufficient amount of time?

If on a timer, try running your filter 24/7 for a week and see if it goes away. Of course that doesn't do anything for determining the fix, but it would tell you that it is related to how the sand is packed into the filter.

Old 06-22-07, 05:10 AM
The pool is on a timer. Since switching to the Zeobrite there is way less in the pool. I think it has to do with the pump being too powerful for the filter so when it first kicks on it pushes dust through someplace. I don't think anything is broken in the filter or it would just happen all the time.