stubborn chlorine stains on pool liner

Old 06-14-07, 06:23 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question stubborn chlorine stains on pool liner

My above ground pool has what seems to be some chlorine stains around the top of the pool liner which seem to be caused by the hot afternoon sun beating on the liner above the water line and cooking the chlorine into the liner leaving an unsightly brown stain which I have NOT been able to remove thus far with any cleaners I've tried. I am now thinking of trying mineral spirits or painting the liner with plasti-kote vinyl paint to do away with these stains. I am reluctant to use anything too strong for fear it would deteriorate the vinyl pool liner.
Has anyone out there encountered the same problem and if so, besides replacing the liner, what works to eliminate these stains?

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-07, 01:47 PM
I
I wouldn't use anything like that, as it may dissolve liner. Try getting one of those magic eraser cleaner sponges first. I had some stubborn algae stains and it cleaned them off with some hard scrubbing.

Old 07-10-07, 04:16 PM
D
Originally Posted by ssmoke View Post
My above ground pool has what seems to be some chlorine stains around the top of the pool liner which seem to be caused by the hot afternoon sun beating on the liner above the water line and cooking the chlorine into the liner leaving an unsightly brown stain which I have NOT been able to remove thus far with any cleaners I've tried. I am now thinking of trying mineral spirits or painting the liner with plasti-kote vinyl paint to do away with these stains. I am reluctant to use anything too strong for fear it would deteriorate the vinyl pool liner.
Has anyone out there encountered the same problem and if so, besides replacing the liner, what works to eliminate these stains?

Thank You

There is a product called Stain Out made by Regal. It's actually designed to get out metal stains but really leaves your liner looking new. Be sure and follow the instructions on the bottle to a T and use it in conjunction with Metal Out. You may have to put some of this powder in a sock and wipe the edge of your stain is heavy. If you can, drain your pool after the treatment so that the water won't re-drop the stain on you.

The down side is that this isn't cheap, the stain can re-appear, and it's always required that I had to replenish my calcium level afterwards.