Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

In ground pool - making sense of construction quotes

In ground pool - making sense of construction quotes

Old 06-27-07, 10:19 PM
Question In ground pool - making sense of construction quotes

Bless anyone who will have the patience to read all this and help me! Am in Sandhills of NC. 2 adults/no kids. Ground is white sand with heavier grey sand/clay down deep – NOT red clay country, more like the shore. Have 3 quotes on 12X24' vinyl lined pool. All have different equipment; even after searching web I cannot figure out what we really need and what is “better bang for my buck.”

1) Walls: Steel vs polymer?
a) One guy recommends steel - says steel stronger, rust not problem with zinc coating; is better in sand. Says polymer walls hard to put up in heat - bend and no matter what adjustments made to braces, etc they sometimes do not go straight even after H2O put in. Says when he replaces liners in polymer wall pools he sees cracks all the time in the walls.
b) Polymer guys say polymer is just as strong, steel does rust, is only used in rocky dirt areas.

2) Skimmers, Returns and Main Drain:
a) Am being told Aqua Genie, a main drain and 7 returns will do everything. Pulls debris off top, sends pressurized clean H2O downward, has refillable removable chlorine canister
b) Am being told 2 skimmers and no main drain are fine with 3 returns.
c) Am being told 1 skimmer and main drain are fine with 3 “jets” (? jet = return?).

3) Sand filter and pump motor:
a) Am being told 200lb Pentair with ¾ HP motor is enough.
b) Am being told 300lb Hayward with 1 ½ HP motor is enough.
c) Am being told 350lb Pentair with 1HP motor is enough.

d) Web research says 2 speed pump will save lots of $ on elec when run longer on low speed than less time on high speed.
e) Web also tells me that maybe a salt system is better.

4) Timer
a) Am being told definitely get it
b) Am being told merely a convenience.

5) Cleaner
a) One comes with Letro Legend, but that requires booster pump - ? $ elec
b) Others do not include any Auto cleaner

6) Light
a) Am being told Hayward niche light best
b) Am being told std halogen non-niche is fine
c) But everyone wants to sell me this colored light show thingee

7) Coping
a) One wants to do brick to match house foundation with concrete for sidewalk
b) Others never brought topic up

8) Retaining wall
a) Two guys say I need retaining wall for sidewalk @ 3’ high across deep end, one side with 3' wall gradually decr up length of pool to shallow end, other side will have concrete sidewalk against house foundation.
b) One guy says I don’t need a retaining wall, he will just push sand up and I can grow sod – FORGET THAT ONE! There would be no strength to hold concrete deck in place and I don’t want to be watering sod to keep sand from washing away in rain (the few times we get rain) Zoning probably won’t buy that one either - extremely restrictive – right down to type of plantings required and % of my yard that can be covered with impermeable stuff (house, patio, driveway, concrete)

Can anybody help me make sense of this?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-07, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by obrienforensics View Post
Bless anyone who will have the patience to read all this and help me! Am in Sandhills of NC. 2 adults/no kids. Ground is white sand with heavier grey sand/clay down deep – NOT red clay country, more like the shore. Have 3 quotes on 12X24' vinyl lined pool. All have different equipment; even after searching web I cannot figure out what we really need and what is “better bang for my buck.”

1) Walls: Steel vs polymer? STEEL WILL RUST, IT ALWAYS DOES, I SUGGEST POLYMER.
a) One guy recommends steel - says steel stronger, rust not problem with zinc coating; is better in sand. Says polymer walls hard to put up in heat - bend and no matter what adjustments made to braces, etc they sometimes do not go straight even after H2O put in. Says when he replaces liners in polymer wall pools he sees cracks all the time in the walls.
b) Polymer guys say polymer is just as strong, steel does rust, is only used in rocky dirt areas.

2) Skimmers, Returns and Main Drain:
a) Am being told Aqua Genie, a main drain and 7 returns will do everything. Pulls debris off top, sends pressurized clean H2O downward, has refillable removable chlorine canister THIS IS TRUE
b) Am being told 2 skimmers and no main drain are fine with 3 returns. ALL POOLS NEED A M.D.
c) Am being told 1 skimmer and main drain are fine with 3 “jets” (? jet = return?). WITH THIS SIZE POOL 1 SKIMMER IS OK BUT I WOULD BUILD WITH 2 SK AND 2 RETURNS AND POOL SWEEP LINE.

3) Sand filter and pump motor:
a) Am being told 200lb Pentair with ¾ HP motor is enough. THIS IS TRUE
b) Am being told 300lb Hayward with 1 ½ HP motor is enough. NEEDED IF USING AQUAGENIE
c) Am being told 350lb Pentair with 1HP motor is enough. OVERKILL

d) Web research says 2 speed pump will save lots of $ on elec when run longer on low speed than less time on high speed. TRUE BUT I SUGGEST TIMER INSTEAD
e) Web also tells me that maybe a salt system is better. SALT SYSTEM(CHLORINE GENERATOR) IS EXCELLENT

4) Timer GOOD TO HAVE BUT RUN POOL DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS
a) Am being told definitely get it
b) Am being told merely a convenience. NOT TRUE

5) Cleaner LETRO IS A GOOD CLEANER, KEEP IN MIND YOU DON'T RUN IT BUUT ABOUT AN HOUR A DAY.
a) One comes with Letro Legend, but that requires booster pump - ? $ elec
b) Others do not include any Auto cleaner

6) Light
a) Am being told Hayward niche light best THERE IS NOT REALLY A BEST HERE, JUST DEPENDS ON THE $$ YOU WANT TO SPEND AND WHAT YOU WANT OUT OF THE LIGHT
b) Am being told std halogen non-niche is fine
c) But everyone wants to sell me this colored light show thingee YEH 500.00-800.00 ITS NICE BUT IS IT WORTH IT TO YOU

7) Coping
a) One wants to do brick to match house foundation with concrete for sidewalk IT LOOKS GREAT, DEPENDS AGAIN ON YOUR BUDGET. ALUMINUM WORKS GREAT.
b) Others never brought topic up

8) Retaining wall
a) Two guys say I need retaining wall for sidewalk @ 3’ high across deep end, one side with 3' wall gradually decr up length of pool to shallow end, other side will have concrete sidewalk against house foundation.
b) One guy says I don’t need a retaining wall, he will just push sand up and I can grow sod – FORGET THAT ONE! There would be no strength to hold concrete deck in place and I don’t want to be watering sod to keep sand from washing away in rain (the few times we get rain) Zoning probably won’t buy that one either - extremely restrictive – right down to type of plantings required and % of my yard that can be covered with impermeable stuff (house, patio, driveway, concrete)

Can anybody help me make sense of this?
HOPE THIS HELP...