Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

can't get ph to come down.........Help!!!

can't get ph to come down.........Help!!!

Old 06-28-07, 10:58 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry can't get ph to come down.........Help!!!

We can not get the ph to come down in our pool. Right now it's at 8.4. It's an inground pool with app. 26,000 gal. We tried ph minus (about 7 lbs already)but it doesn't seem to be working. The chlorine is fine and the TA is 100 but we still have high ph and cloudy water. Any suggestions????? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-07, 06:35 PM
first let me ask, how old is your test kit? Has it been left outdoors in the heat? Left in the sun? These are factors that can be affecting your reading. Reagents are very fragile/tempermental if they are from last year buy new ones, if left outside or in the sun buy new ones. Test kits should be stored indoors where they will not be in temps in excess of 85 degrees. That said, test your water and let me know chlorine, free and available, total alkalinity, and ph with the acid demand. I'll try to help...

Old 06-29-07, 05:06 AM
You could also take a water sample to your local pool supply store and have them annylize it. They will normally not charge you since you will probably buy chemicals from them.

Old 06-29-07, 05:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I used to take care of the lap pool in a fitness center years ago and we used muratic acid (HCl acid) to lower the pH.

Old 06-30-07, 09:10 AM
Z
I agree with todrut, I think you've got bad reagents in your test kit. High TA is by far the most common reason that ph won't come down. Also are you using a ph test that requires Cl neutralizer? High chlorine levels can cause the phenol red to appear purple, resulting in a false high ph reading. Most neutralizers I've used call for one drop for every 3ppm free chlorine, the neutralizers have a fairly high ph so you have to be careful how much you use as they can also cause a high reading if you use too much. With a total alkalinity of 100 you shouldn't be having any problems bringing it down, that's actually a little lower than I like to keep it. If you need to you can increase the alkalinity with baking soda without affecting the ph. The first thing I'd do is get new reagents or a whole new test kit and check everything again then go from there.

Old 06-30-07, 01:48 PM
Thanks zeppo... I just want to point out that baking soda will in fact raise ph as well as alkalinity. Soda ash will raise ph with little to no affect to TA but not vice versa.

Old 06-30-07, 07:46 PM
Z
Actually you've got it backwards, soda ash is what's used to raise the ph, the ph neutral alkalinity increaser is sodium bicarbonate ie baking soda. You can buy it at a pool supply store but it's usually cheaper to just go to wally world and buy baking soda.

Old 07-02-07, 01:09 PM
I
Muratic acid is what lowers the pH. Just use that and leave the borax, baking soda, soda ash alone. If it's cloudy, quit using granular calcium shock. Use liquid bleach and run pump continuously. You may want to get a flocculant/
clarifier to get suspended stuff to clump/drop, then you can vac clean. Depending on your CYA level, you could use trichlor tabs also.

Old 07-02-07, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by igneous View Post
Muratic acid is what lowers the pH. Just use that and leave the borax, baking soda, soda ash alone. If it's cloudy, quit using granular calcium shock. Use liquid bleach and run pump continuously. You may want to get a flocculant/
clarifier to get suspended stuff to clump/drop, then you can vac clean. Depending on your CYA level, you could use trichlor tabs also.
Muriatic acid is ok if you don't mind getting splashed or splashing on something else. However, stay away from LIQUID BLEACH it is has a very high ph and very low chlorine% Stay with granular...