Hayward DE TANK Relief Valve

Old 06-30-07, 12:02 PM
Hayward DE TANK Relief Valve

I have a Hayward DE4800 tank i believe and the plastic air relief valve which screws into the top with the gauge always break. I go through about 1 per season anyone know if there is anyone who like makes one in brass or if anyone knows how i could build one myself?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-07, 01:43 PM
How old is your filter? There is a new style and old style. What part is actually breaking and what happens to break it. The only part that I have seen go wrong with these year after year is the gauges.

Old 06-30-07, 01:55 PM
The piece which threads into top of tank always breaks. Guage i normally don't have a problem with. I am curious if anyone makes a brass one which i can screw in or if i can build one myself. THey never last more then 2 years the problem i have is the threads shear off or they leak water?

Here is a diagram number 2 is what always breaks

http://hayward-parts.com/de4800.htm

Old 06-30-07, 02:05 PM
That is the old style. There are few made by different companies(pentair and sta-rite) however I'm not sure about fitting in the hole of your filter, you could visit a pool store and try to match up. You could go to home depot or lowes and look through their plumbing, I've never done it but I'm sure I could put something together that would work.

Old 07-02-07, 05:03 PM
Just got back from home depot and i built a replacement with copper t and a couple of nipples and a valve. the nipples are 3/8 the problem is the threads are different on the tank but it seems like it wants to go in. I really don't want to strip out the threads on the tank because then i believe i will be screwed and have to buy a new one. Is there like a plastic adapter i can buy at home depot which is like male threaded to female threaded which will thread into the tank and onto the 3/8 nipple copper nipple? or any other ideas

Old 07-03-07, 09:34 AM
Does anyone have any idea should i try galvanized instead of copper or any other ideas please

Old 07-03-07, 03:47 PM
I would stay away from galvanized, it will rust and could cause stains in the pool. It is possible that the depot will have an adapter, however you would have to go to a smaller size since it would more then likely be a reducing bushing. If no luck that route, you might be able to go smaller and use nut washer and oring on the inside of tank. Keep in mind you can also use a tap and die set to tap the hole to proper threads. Good luck...

Old 07-03-07, 04:09 PM
3/8 looks like the proper size but it is just a little big for the hole. the threads on the tank are far apart and the threads on the copper are very close togather. I have a tap and die set. I am just afraid I may screw up the threads permanently on the tank and will have to throw it out Should I be Afraid?
I was looking maybe for a 3/8 male threaded to female threaded in pvc but it seems like it dosn't exist?

It is a good idea about the nut and washer and o ring inside tank. And will a nut thread onto a copper nipple? Is it possible it may leak air or water more then if it is just locked in from the top?

Old 07-04-07, 08:52 AM
If you're going to try the nut and washer route, make sure to use brass nut and washer or stainless steel. You don't want any rust happening.

Yes, I would be a little worried about tapping the tank, you'll have to decide if its worth the risk to not break your valve anymore. Keep in mind if the tap goes wrong you can still go bigger and use a reducer if needed.

And if you use nut and washer, as long as you make a good seal it will not leak. You might need to use a flat rubber washer or oring, not sure what will work better.