What happened to my water?

Old 06-30-07, 03:14 PM
What happened to my water?

My water is VERY cloudy almost milky.Here's what's going on.I took a water sample to my local spa/pool store yesterday.She said everything looked good except that my Phosphate was VERY high (1000) & Alkinity was low.She said to add 12oz Phosphate remover & 7.5lbs of Alkinity up(sodium bicarb) & 1lb shock. I added Phosphate remover-1/2 of the Alkinity up & 1 bag of non chlorine shock.
When I did that the water turned white & cloudy.I have been running the filter for about 24hrs & it is not clearing up. I have backwashed the filter(Doughboy sand) I added about 6 oz of clarifier with no results.Any ideas? Thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-07, 07:57 PM
I'd need a little more info to diagnose the problem for sure, my first guess is the ph is high, that can cause the water to be cloudy. I'd check the ph and adjust it as necessary, then shock it. High stabilizer levels in the water can cause clouding problems too. If the cyranic acid level is getting close to 100ppm you should drain the pool down and refill it to dilute the CA to a more acceptable level 10-20ppm should be OK.

Old 06-30-07, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by zeppo View Post
I'd need a little more info to diagnose the problem for sure, my first guess is the ph is high, that can cause the water to be cloudy. I'd check the ph and adjust it as necessary, then shock it. High stabilizer levels in the water can cause clouding problems too. If the cyranic acid level is getting close to 100ppm you should drain the pool down and refill it to dilute the CA to a more acceptable level 10-20ppm should be OK.
Hardness=50 PH=7.2 Free Chlorine=2 Alk.=100 CYA=40
These readings were just now with Aquacheck test strips.
The cloudiness started as soon as I added the chems. that I mentioned in my first post. I added a pound of shock yesterday,are you saying I should add another? Also, I failed to mention before that the water was crystal clear before add chems.

Old 06-30-07, 11:22 PM
What is your combined chlorine? If you shocked it yesterday it should be 0, or close to it. The amount of shock you need to use depends on the size of the pool. I always use chlorine shock so I raise my free CL to 10ppm, non chlorine would be different so the best idea is to follow the label directions. You want to oxidize the organic compounds that have combined with the CL. If you don't add enough it can actually make the problem worse. The ph, free CL and TA are a little lower than I like myself, I like to run ph 7.4-7.6, free CL 3-4ppm and TA 120-130ppm. What gets me is that it was clear until you added the chemicals, that suggests a reaction between them that is causing the clouding, your test results are in the acceptable range, so they shouldn't be causing it. I have had it take 3-4 days to clear up after shocking but I usually have had some clouding problems when I shocked it. I wouldn't think the pool store would have had you use something that would react that way, but maybe they didn't know, although having you use sodium bicarb with a ph of 7.2 makes me wonder, I would use soda ash and raise the ph at the same time. I guess I'm not sure what's causing it. I'd try using soda ash to raise the ph and TA and if you have any combined CL shock it again then give it a day two and see if it starts clearing up. You might also talk to the pool store and see if they know if the chemicals you used could react to cause the clouding, I don't know all the combinations that can cause that off the top of my head, they should have the information you need to tell you. It might clear up on it's own in a couple of days if that's what's causing it. The CYA is a little higher than needed but if that was causing the problem it should have shown up before you added the chemicals.

Old 07-01-07, 09:45 AM
Phosphate remover will cause a pool to cloud up. Sometimes for a few days, they should have warned you at the store.

Old 07-01-07, 10:49 AM
Thanks, we don't have phosphate problems with our water here so I wasn't sure about that, never really had to deal with it.

Old 07-05-07, 11:05 AM
doing what the pool store guys tell you is your biggest problem. Don't add any more "non-chlorine shock",,, there's no such animal. You're probably putting Cal-hypo granular chlorine in the water, which will cause cloudiness and take a while to dissolve. Your number look fine, just go buy 5-10 large jugs of plain unscented ultra bleach or liquid chlorine. You can get bleach at grocery store, or liq. chlorine sometimes at hdepot/lowes. Keep chlorine level up to around 10 to shock it and maintain this level w/pump running. It will clear up, just keep chlorine up.

Old 07-11-07, 02:29 PM
Well whatever that was it sunk to the bottom(it was REALLY powdery)I vacuumed it out,shocked it again & now it's crystal clear again.Thanks for the help!

Old 07-12-07, 06:59 PM
Glad it cleared up for you.