Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Paint touch up on gunite inground...may sound really stupid!

Paint touch up on gunite inground...may sound really stupid!

Old 07-03-07, 07:13 PM
Unhappy Paint touch up on gunite inground...may sound really stupid!

I don't mean to sound incredibly stupid... but is there anyway to "touch-up" areas with the water "in" our gunite, in ground pool? It would just be for cosmetic reasons, the below spots just really ruin the look of a lovely pool.

The main drain/filter, sealed pipe thing next to it, and the older in floor self cleaner heads all have chipping and light brown areas around them. The gunite has been painted with a light blue Porter Pool paint.

I have been reading about marine epoxy paints but am still confused if this is what they are suggesting you can do with these types.

Just bringing the water level up to open the pool takes forever, we live 3/4 of a mile from our water meter and the pressure, according to the water department is the strongest in our city but the volume is bad. The thought of draining and refilling the pool is overwhelming and I doubt we would do this until we have saved up to resurface the whole pool.

Thanks to anyone who can help with out laughing!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-07, 08:46 AM
Not laughing, its a good question. However I'm sorry to say that epoxy based paints are very good paint but surface must be dry and clean. It also must remain dry for a few days (approx 7-10) for paint to cure before refilling. This way you should get a good 8-12 years use from paint. There is a 2 part epoxy that can be used underwater but it is not a paint, it is a repair putty.
Now, if the paint is not peeling and is just oxidizing you might want to try a piece of steel wool and lightly brush the areas.

Old 07-04-07, 08:56 AM
Thanks so much for your clarification on the epoxy paint, I was afraid of that.

I am not so sure I would say the paint was "chipping", well until I figure out a way to weigh down my legs so I can look long enough - my synchronize swimmer days are over It seems to be worn other than oxidized, I'll check that today.

Thank you again!