Home-built plunge-pool: Need a drain?

Old 07-08-07, 12:22 PM
Question Home-built plunge-pool: Need a drain?

I am building a 4.5x7' concrete-block plunge pool to match the pond in my yard. (3 coats of Thoroughseal, then ceramic tile on the interior, rock on the exterior.) I would like to use a small exterior "jacuzzi" pump so that I can build a waterfall at one end, but I am afraid a home-made drain at the bottom will leak, and I have never installed a drain in a concrete floor before. Any suggestions? I can use my trusty sump-pump to drain it every week or so to water the garden and kill the mosquitoes, but 1/8" water remains and I have to scoop it out with a cup, thus the interest in a floor drain.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-07, 06:35 PM
You have a few choices depending on what is best for you. I've built pools with just a square concrete sump that we then plaster and put a grate over. There are also plastic main drains you can buy that set into the concrete. They come in different sizes and round or square.

I don't know what you mean by plunge pool, I'm assuming here that you are doing a concrete floor. If in fact you are doing a liner there are main drains for liners that have a gasket system that seals.

Hope this helps...

Old 07-10-07, 08:34 PM
home-built pool drain

Thanks todrut, I did not know that you could buy plastic drains. What sort of stores sell them? I have been to the local pool store, but they think I am off my rocker and should hire a pro ( which I am sure is true, but beyond my means.)

What I mean by a plunge pool is a little pool that you can just get wet in. I have been buying plastic kiddie pools every summer but they are ugly and it is impossible to maintain one's dignity while dunking in one. My husband will not be caught dead in a kiddie pool; so I want to build something that looks more like a jacuzzi, but without the jets or heat.

I don't know what a liner is; but the little (4.5x7x 3 ft deep) pool will have a concrete bottom, and I will build the sides of concrete blocks. I built a pond in this manner four years ago and I have been very happy with the results. The main problem is draining it!

If I build a little plunge pool, I will have to drain it every week; the mosquitoes and algae will have at it since there will be no snails or mosquito fish to keep things under control. A bottom drain would allow a little waterfall into it which would make it look like it was a part of the pond, and that would be beautiful. I could also install a filter system if I had a drain, so I would not have to drain it so often.

I have never installed a drain and do not even know what one looks like, or the steps involved in installing one. Is it like a shower drain, which needs a tar or plastic liner? If this is the case, I am in way over my head.

Thanks, Renee

Old 07-10-07, 08:53 PM
Renee, You're on the right track. You can get a main drain for a concrete pool (small one) for around $30 it will be easy to install in the concrete before pouring it. I would suggest a small pump and filter, with the MD all you would have to do is install a return line and you're set. You won't have to drain and clean this way. Good luck...