Question about marcite pool, ~12 yrs old

Old 07-09-07, 06:49 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about marcite pool, ~12 yrs old

This is my first post...I just moved in to a home with a marcite pool (well that's what the home inspector said). The pool is about 12 yrs old.

Now the pool has some cracked tiles along the coping, and some mustard looking stains on the bottom of the pool. We have a pool guy come by every week. I guess everything is "okay", he hasn't said anything about major problems. He mentioned something about Diamond Brite....

So my question is are these stains something I can get rid of. Will I eventually need to get some major work done, new liner, something like that? How long does this marcite liner last?

I know absolutely nothing about maintaining a pool, but the wife loves it, so I guess I have to start learning.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-07, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arctanx View Post
This is my first post...I just moved in to a home with a marcite pool (well that's what the home inspector said). The pool is about 12 yrs old.

Now the pool has some cracked tiles along the coping, and some mustard looking stains on the bottom of the pool. We have a pool guy come by every week. I guess everything is "okay", he hasn't said anything about major problems. He mentioned something about Diamond Brite....

So my question is are these stains something I can get rid of. Will I eventually need to get some major work done, new liner, something like that? How long does this marcite liner last?

I know absolutely nothing about maintaining a pool, but the wife loves it, so I guess I have to start learning.

thanks!
Depends on what the stins are, it sounds like mustard algea which will come off but must be treated. The cracks are hard to say without seeing, are they deep? Is there a leak? Diamond brite is a type of marcite or plaster, its an 1/8" coating that is over the concrete to hold the water and give smooth finish nice appearance. These finishes will last a very varied amount of time, factors like weather, maintnance, how well put on, chemistry, part of county you're in, all are factors. I've seen them last 25-30 years and as little as 7-8 years.