Filter not catching dirt

Old 07-18-07, 04:34 PM
Filter not catching dirt

I have some stuff in the bottom of my pool(aboveground) it's fine & powdery (dead algae?) it's dark & looks like dirt.My problem is when I vacuum the pool the stuff passes through the filter & re enters the pool through the return line.There's not a lot of it,it's just frustrating.I have used a clarifier & it sinks to the bottom,I assume it's just too fine for the filter(sand) to catch it.Any tips of how to get the filter to catch it?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-07, 09:08 PM
Raise water level as far as possible then vac pool with filter in the waste position, this will bypass the filter and through it out on ground.

If you can't do this for some reason, you can try dosing your pool with a flocculant or you can add some filter booster or D.E. powder only use about a cup.

Hope this helps...

Old 07-19-07, 04:46 AM
Group Moderator
You didn't mention what type filter you have but you mentioined "sand" so I'm a ssuming a sand filter. One possibility is that you have a bad gasket in your switching valve that is allowing unfiltered water back into the pool. Second possibility is that unfiltered water is backing up into the pool after pump shutdown. Just recently had this problem on my system with a DE filter and my fix was simpy to install a check valve to prevent back-flow. Not sure why it started all of a sudden, but the check valve fixed it.