Salt water system - HELP!!

Old 08-15-07, 06:51 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Salt water system - HELP!!

I'm a pool newb.

I just got my pool installed about a month ago (salt system). Needless to say, I received no help from my installer. Ive attempted to go to my local pool store and go very little help from them either.

How much salt should I initially be putting in?? It seems that the salt reading is decreasing every other day (one day it will read 2700 and two days later it will read 22-2300). Can it lose that much in two days?? I was told that once i get it to around 2800-3200, it will hold for a few months. It seems like Im pouring salt in more than I expected. The salt reading that shows up on my instrument panel matches the reading I get from the test strips I bought from the pool store.

What other chemicals should I be aware of?? Is there anything other than salt that I need to worry about?? What am I doing wrong??

Im getting really frustrated. Please help. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-07, 08:50 PM
1st, don't let it frustrate you, it is pretty easy, you just need someone to talk you through. So lets get started...

Your pool will not lose salt unless you are losing water. Salt will not evaporate out with your water. The only way to lose salt is bacwashing or draining your pool. That being said, it can take 24-48 hours for your chlorine generator to calibrate. The amount of salt to add initially can only be figured by the systems manufacturer recommended levels and the gallonage of pool. I've had to add 700-1000 lbs of salt to pools initially.

What type of salt system do you have?

You need to have a test kit so you can test and monitor chlorine level, ph, total alkalinity, hardness, and stabilizer. Your pool must have the proper amount of stabilizer for your salt system to perform properly. Stabilizer is basically added to fresh filled pools and a couple times a year after that, it does not evaporate out of water either, it is lost only by water loss.

I would suggest taking a water sample to pool store and have them test and tell you exactly what is needed to balance water chemistry. After that test yourself once a week.

Hope you're feeling better now, you're not doing anything wrong, just need a little help. I'll be away from computer from Thurs morning till Sat morning so any reply from me will be Sat.

Good luck...

Old 08-16-07, 05:56 AM
T
salt water system

todrut,
Thank you for your response.

You definitely made it much easier to understand. I will go to the nearest pool shop and get a test done. I didnt know that was an option. Makes sense.

How do I know if my pool has too much water?? Because I believe its about a couple of inches too high. It sits right at my drain (right below the coping). Im still noticing water run off in the street. Do I need to drain some?? How is that done?? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get this thing done correctly.

Again, I really appreciate you helping me with all this.

Old 08-17-07, 04:51 AM
Z
Most of the time you want the water level to be at the midpoint of the skimmers, those are the drains at the top of your pool, the easiest way to drain it down would be to open the main drain, there should be a valve near the filter to control whether the water is recirculated or drained to waste, open it to waste and let it drain down until it's at the right level. Todrut will be able to tell you more when he gets back, he's a lot better at the mechanical side than I am. Take a sample down to your pool store and get it tested like todrut said and be sure to get a test kit at the same time, but the best one you can afford, the better the kit the more accurate the test results are and once you learn what you're doing you can maintain it all yourself. The chemistry isn't that hard, it just seems confusing at first. You need to able to test fr everything todrut mentioned plus combined chlorine, that's what causes the strong chlorine oder people complain about, if that level gets to high you'll need to shock the pool to get rid of it. Your pool store should be able to give you the ranges you need to maintain, if you're still confused post again and we'll walk you through it.

Old 08-17-07, 06:12 AM
T
zeppo,
Thank you for your input. Im going to take the sample in this afternoon and go from there.

I might attempt to mess around with the valves and see if I can drain some of this water. We'll see how brave I get. If something goes wrong, I'll definitely be back on here.

Appreciate the help.

Old 08-17-07, 07:25 PM
When you say you notice water run off in the street, what do you mean by that? Where is it coming from?

When I build a pool I alway put in an overflow, not all builders do however. Is that where the water might be coming from?

Is it a vinyl pool or concrete? I recommend keeping your water level 3/4 the way up in the skimmers mouth.

I'm back as you can see so if you need some help let me know...

Old 08-19-07, 10:50 AM
T
todrut,
apologize for the delay. i believe the way the installer explained it to me, was that if the water level in the pool was too high that there would be a run-off that would be directed to the streets through drains layed out. im assuming that is what's happening im my case.

i guess it is what you are talking about with the overflow.

my pool is concrete and the water level is a little more than 3/4 the way up in the skimmers mouth.

what do you think??

thanks

Old 08-20-07, 05:05 PM
Everything sounds great, your ater level may be a tad high, in concrete pools water level should be slightly over the half of the tile.

Your builder did install an overflow so you don't have to worry about your water level getting too high.

How is the salt system going???

Old 08-22-07, 01:10 PM
T
todrut,
well i adjusted to floater to reduce the water level. so far, no run off and my salt level is stable (3200 ppm).

so far, so good. crossing my fingers. thanks for your assistance.

Old 08-22-07, 02:29 PM
You're welcome, that's what we're here for

Good luck...

Old 08-27-07, 08:04 PM
G
Kind of salt doe chlorine generators

Originally Posted by todrut View Post
You're welcome, that's what we're here for

Good luck...
Hi:

I just installed a chlorine generator and am wondering about the salt I put in my pool. The salt I used was Windsor System Saver salt pellets for water softeners, 99.7 pure salt. If this is the wrong type of salt, can it do any harm to the chlorinator which presently is running fine and is generating chlorine? (Hayward Aquarite)

Old 08-27-07, 09:53 PM
Manufacturers say not to use water softener salt because of the additives, here it is in their own words:
Type of Salt to Use
It is important to use only sodium chloride (NaCl) salt that is greater than 99% pure.
This is common food quality or water softener salt and is usually available in 40-80 lb.
bags labeled "Coarse Solar Salt". It is also acceptable to use water conditioning salt
pellets, however, it will take longer for them to dissolve. Do not use rock salt, salt with
yellow prussiate of soda, salt with anti-caking additives, or iodized salt.

***My hint to all with salt systems: Buy salt from a livestock feed store, ONLY the white feed salt. It is perfect and usually more than half the price elsewhere...