My Pool

Old 08-28-07, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My Pool

I have a pool in my home on Palm Coast Florida. I have problem to keep clean the water, it gets green fast. I put chemical, the motor work 6 hours a day. I'm living in Elizabeth NJ, I have a frend halp me over that. I think drain the water empting completly, but I don't know is it good empty the pool. I'm despendind lot of money with light and chemicals. I'm sorry for my English. If you understend my question please help me . Thank you

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 08-28-07 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-07, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
Okay, the green is algae. Grows like crazy if you let it get away from you. Use a good copper-based algaecide (the label will list copper as the active ingredient). You also need a test kit to test the chemicals to make sure you have the proper ph and chlorine levels. Most pool supply stores have free literature to help with some. Also good advice from the people working there (helps if you are buying their products). If you have a cartridge-type filter they don't work as well as sand or DE filters, but the conversion can run you several hundred dollars. Hope this helps.

P.S. I edited your original post to help everyone understand your questions better.

Old 08-28-07, 06:50 PM
It could be as simple as checking water chemistry, you might not have any conditioner in water which helps keep chlorine in the pool. If you have an auto chlorinator on it you might need to turn it higher or run the pool longer every day. 6 hours is not alot unless the pool is very small.

Sorry forgot also, if the algea is bloomed in the filter it must be killed or it will keep coming back. Filter needs to be soaked in chlorine not too strong though.

Last edited by todrut; 08-28-07 at 06:53 PM. Reason: more to say
Old 08-29-07, 05:37 AM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
one more reply

Hi,

Something simple to try may be to extend the pump time and see if that makes a difference.

You didn"t mention what kind of filter u had ,the size of the pump, or more so how much did the pump/filter cost and what is the size of the pool ?
When i was younger i had a pool for the kids. I found out the hard way that the more pricey $$$ the pump and filter were the easier the water chemistry became.

You may want to find someone in the neighbor hood that has roughly the same size pool and their water always looks great. Ask them if you can see what set up they are using and copy it. Also ask them about what chems they use.
And no,,i"m not a salesman .

If you do a refit you will probably want to drain ,clean the pool,and then refill before you put the new setup in action. Its alot of work !

gascans words of wisdom

Old 08-30-07, 03:18 AM
S
Unhappy

Is It A Vinal
Pool? Don't Drain Liner Will Shrink Is Water Warm In Pool? U Need To Shock It And Clean Good

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 08-31-07 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Not necessary to quote entire post.
Old 08-30-07, 06:30 PM
Algae

I would run the pump 24/7 until the algae is under control, then you can reduce it to 12 hrs a day, 6 hrs is not enough.

Old 09-01-07, 08:52 PM
G
shrinking vinyl pool liner

Hi,

I have drained and clean liners that were vinyl. I never heard of the shrinking issue. How does that work? I mean is the only time your supposed to drain the pool is when your putting in a new liner ?
Using alot of shock and other chemicals is an issue too. I have seen in my pool, when i owned it,, that the the chemicals after a while would unglue the seams. Yes, i said unglue the seams. The vinyl is tough but the glue is a weak spot.

gascan

Old 09-04-07, 02:08 PM
I
don't drain the pool if it's a vinyl liner!!! the chemical shrink the liner when no water pressure is holding it in place. Go and get many (10 or so) large jugs of
non-scented ultra bleach and pour in enough to get the CL level up to 15ppm.
Now keep it there by testing and adding more bleach as needed.

Old 09-12-07, 08:29 PM
G
vinyl ???

i dont remember my pool chemistry completely but there are issues with free chlorine versus available chlorine. So just adding bleach may not be the best solution. when i used to drain a pool and clean a liner i would use just regular biodegradable dish soap ,scrub with sturdy rags and then hose it down. I do know just adding alot of pool chemicals will eventually destroy the liner. The way to approach that is to use the chemicals that have the least impact on vinyl. With that said there is also a cost benefit analysis to do. How much will a new liner cost if you use cheap chemicals versus the cost of expensive chemicals to save the life of present liner?

Old 09-12-07, 09:28 PM
Wink

but I don't know is it good empty the pool.

No way do you want to do this down there in Fl. Any time you drain a pool down there you have to have a under drain under the pool pumping water out. Running the whole time. If you dont the pool will come up out of the ground for sure Have you been useing pool chlorine??? You can take a water sample to any pool store down there and they will tell you what you need. 6 hr run time on the pump is not long enough down there.

Old 09-14-07, 06:30 PM
G
too much chlorine

hi folks,

alot of peeps think if u just keep adding chlorine to a pool this eventually fixes everything. That is not necessary true. What you get is a slimy sickening smelling pool. You cant just keep adding chlorine ( ad nasuea ).
If ur pool is crazy with chemicals then u need to dump the water and start over. its that simple.
hope i wasn't too blunt.
gascan

Old 09-14-07, 06:56 PM
The only time you would need to drain and replace a portion of your water is if TDS total dissolved solids are too high. They will test for them at a local pool store.

Old 09-17-07, 08:01 PM
G
okay,,one more time

the body oils,,bird droppings,,urine ,,feces,,blood,,spit,,bugs ,,tree sap,,sanitizers and clarifier's all build up in the water. Does the filter take care of these ??..Yes,,but all filters clean the water to a saturation level. This level can be maintained for an extended amount of time,,,months,even a whole pool season.
Eventually what will happen is all this stuff gets triturated to a size that is too small for the filter to remove. Total dissolved solid test is not all inclusive and covers obvious things like mud that you can already see in the water and generally makes an assumption by water clarity on how bad or good the TDS is.
There is alot of chemistry going on in pool water. When the water gets totally played out from stress and chemicals galore its time for a change. Nothin last forever not even pool water. If you ask a chemical supplier he will tell you different, WHY??.
Is it because he is selling chemicals???
Hope i wasn't too outspoken,,,,
the gascan