Winterizing Issues

Old 09-02-07, 05:12 AM
Winterizing Issues

Hi All,
The pool is a 15' by 3.5' round above-ground. We plan to close it for the season this week. I'm careful to seal the through-liner skimmer and cap the filter return. We use a 4' by 4' air pillow for ice expansion, and the perimeter of the cover is weighed down with some gallon-sized chlorine bottles half filled with water.

Problem is, the collection of water on top of the cover causes the water in the pool to empty. This has been happening for the last three winters. By last spring, the water level had dropped to 24 inches and the cover was stressed almost to tearing.

I've checked the liner thoroughly for leaks (using scuba and a mask) and found none. There is no puddling or other signs of leakage around the pool. Last year I attached a hose between the skimmer and filter return to prevent them from leaking. The hose was dry when I opened the pool.

What am I doing wrong?

-- RJ

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-07, 08:48 PM
Letting water/ice collect on cover will force water out of pool. Keep a little pump on cover to keep rain water from collecting. Should do the trick...