remove old hot tub

Old 09-21-07, 09:02 PM
remove old hot tub

How can I remove an old hot tub from the master bedroom in a house we just purchased? It looks to be fiberglass and is pretty big. I don't see how it could fit it out the doors - so I'm thinking that I'll have to cut it up in order to remove it.

It is supported underneath by several wooden supports. Should I just cut it up with a sawzall? How about a chainsaw? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-07, 03:49 AM
I think sawzall would be your best bet.
Mike

Old 09-22-07, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it truly a "hot tub" or is it a "whirlpool" type tub? If the latter, you will have to remove the front framing, drain and overflow, supply lines, unscrew the wooden base from the subflooring and remove it. Turning it up on its side will allow removal through a 30" door. They aren't heavy, just a little unwieldy. Putting it up on a bread rack type roller makes it easier. Now, if it is a real hot tub, which I doubt it being inside a residence, reciprocating saw is the scalpel of choice.

Old 10-24-07, 07:51 PM
Don't be surprised that it is a real hot tub, previous owners of my home put one in the master bath - on the second floor! I thought it was pretty cool for the first year or two until it developed a small leak. Needless to say it has been a used as a clothes rack/ironing board for the past five years.

My plan, when we get around to remodeling the bathroom, is to dismantle the wood skirting, motor, and anything that can be removed, and then take the sawzall to it.

Another option you may be able to consider: if the room that it is in has an exterior wall on the back or side of the house, put in a slider or french doors leading out to a deck or patio. That should give you a large enough opening.