Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

To drain or not to drain - $64.00 question

To drain or not to drain - $64.00 question

Old 09-22-07, 03:23 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool To drain or not to drain - $64.00 question

My pool is almost four years old. When I had my water checked last week, the sales clerk of the local pool store said I need to drain my pool even though cl and ph are ok.
Is he pulling my leg?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-07, 03:42 PM
N
Not sure on pools, but the water in our hot tub when it gets old, is hard to keep clear. We can shock it and adjust it all the ways possible and the only cure we found is to drain it (like we were told to do every 3 moths or so). We use ours very very much and need to drain it every 3 months or so. Hopefully someone in here knows better than me but just trying to be of some help...

Old 09-22-07, 05:42 PM
M
Ask him why.

Replacing part of the water is either the easiest or only way to lower hardness and salt. Maybe your hardness is extremely high.

Old 09-23-07, 03:58 AM
M
Oh...and stabilizer. When the stabilizer level gets too high the water clouds. The easiest way to lower the stabilizer is to replace part of the water.

Chlorine sticks and tablets have stabilizer in them. As you use chlorine the stabilizer level continues to rise until it is simply too high. Then the water clouds. The assumption is that normal use of the pool causes enough water to be splashed out requiring the addition of water which keeps the stabilizer level near normal. Low use pools don't lose enough water through splashing to keep the stabilizer levels within range, so eventually it is a good thing to replace part of the water.

Sure takes a long time though...

Old 09-28-07, 10:28 AM
J
Thanks. But how much to drain - 1/4, 1/2?

Old 10-01-07, 04:25 PM
Q
You should be able to keep your pool going, without draining it, with the use of chemicals. You'll need two essential chemicals - Chlorine and muriatic acid. Everything else is optional. If you use unstabilized chlorine (granular) add a couple of ounces of muriatic acid daily to keep the pH at the right levels, otherwise water will cloud. Chlorine will tend to raise the pH (towards alkalinity) and then the chlorine can't do its job. You'll have not only turbidity but also algae growth. Muriatic acid is a controlled substance but if you ask your local pool supply store, they'll bring it out for you - runs about $10.00 a gallon.

If you use stabilized chlorine (pucks), your pH should be OK, but check it regularly just to be sure.

I never drain my pool. I only draw down the water about 18-19 inches to winterize it.

Old 10-07-07, 10:29 AM
I
If your CYA level is too high, you have to use ever increasing amount of chlorine to sanitize water. Ask the pool guy, or better yet, get a test kit and do the testing yourself--I'll never trust the pool store testing protocols. Just don't make sense to have the guy that sells you stuff test your water-he'll always want you to add/BUY something & usually algaecide since it's expensive. Your cya level should be 30-50 ppm. Any more than that and your chlorine levels have to be up higher to sanitize. Draining half and refilling is just the easiest and cheapest way. Since it's late in the season, I'd just lower water level and do normal shut down. It may lose the stabilizer over the winter. Just retest at startup next spring and see where you are. Quickcurrent is right, you don't need anything but CL and acid. I use the 3" pucks at startup in the floater and once the cya level gets to 30ppm, I change to liquid chlorine/bleach and mur. acid to maintain pH. If you want to know more about water chem, go to www.poolsolutions.com and read.

Old 10-13-07, 03:40 PM
J
Thanks for your input. I'm from Southern California and I normally don't shut down my pool. It doesn't get that cold.

Old 10-15-07, 10:34 AM
Q
Originally Posted by jun54e View Post
Thanks for your input. I'm from Southern California and I normally don't shut down my pool. It doesn't get that cold.
Lucky you for living there. Then you shouldn't have to drain the water unless you have a concrete pool and want to paint it or a liner pool and need to change the liner. Partial draining should be an option.