leak in pool

Old 09-24-07, 03:03 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy leak in pool

I have a leak in my pool,can not tell where the leak is comin from. skimmer checked out ok. cannot tell if it is in the plumbling somewhere.

Have tried the dye test but could not figure that out. could someone please give me a suggestion as to where the leak is coming from, thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-07, 05:00 PM
Helping someone locate a leak is one of the hardest things to do here. What do you mean the sk checks out?
Is it a vinyl or concrete pool?
How much does it leak in 24 hours?
Where are you located?
You need to actually mark the water level with a pencil and measure after 24 hours of pool running. Then mark again and leave pool off for 24 hrs and measure. Let me know what happens, this will help tell if it is in plumbing or pool.

Old 09-26-07, 05:36 AM
I have an inground pool with two lights. Turned out my leak was at the lights. Specifically, the conduit to the housing. If you remove the light (one screw) and look in the back of the housing where the wire goes, see if there's a plug of some kind or a wad of putty around the wire. Maybe it's shrunk or shifted. It's a good place to start.

Old 09-27-07, 08:42 AM
G
Unhappy

I have a concrete pool with diamond brite. could not get the little screw out by the light. will turn the pool off for 24 and measure like you suggested and turn back on for 24 hours.I put the dye by the sk but it does not seem to leaking around the skimmer.someone suggested that I let it leak to see where it stops instead of keep replacing the water. I live in Fla and I did do the condensation test with the bucket of water.

Old 09-27-07, 09:42 AM
You could let it leak to where it stops, but that might be pretty low. I assume there is nothing leaking visible at pump pad. What kind of filter? Do you have a backwash line? If so check it and see if water is leaking. I also assume you looked for cracks and found none.

Old 09-27-07, 03:00 PM
G
Unhappy

Thanks so much. I have a sand filter and a backwash line. I don't see nothing leaking around the filter. I did not know where to look for cracks. Where do you think the crack could be. You think maybe behind the tile aor around the tile. but I am going to continue to keep the pool off for 24 hours and see what happens. thanks so much for the help

Old 09-27-07, 04:19 PM
Make sure when you turn pool on to check backwash line for leak.

Cracks could be anywhere in pool, but around tile is a good place to start. I assume none have popped off.

Old 09-27-07, 05:08 PM
G
we recently replaced 8 pieces of tile(standard blue) because we were going to have all the tile replaced when we did the diamond bright but changed our mind and just replaced the ones we took off. I did not do the work myself a friend did replaced the tile and did put the corking back around the tile.

I can not tell if it is leaking around the tile. The backwash line seems ok. I called a pool person who said he would be here on this Saturday but of course you know how that goes with the weather and busy summer days in south Fla (miami)
Anyway, I will continue to let the pool stay off until tomorrow.
My God, I sure pray it is not in the main drain or else I am dead in the water, no pun intended. I am sure that would be quite a difficult task for anyone to fix a leak around. the maindrain plus I would probably have to dump all of the water.the pool is 15x30.I am hoping to find someone with some kind of do kit that will tell exactly where the leak is.Do you think that is possible.

Old 09-28-07, 05:26 AM
There are many companies as well as a national co that can come out and pinpoint a leak. Expect a min couple hundred bucks though.

Old 09-28-07, 10:09 AM
G
thanks so much. I expect someone to come out on Saturday don't know if he will find the leak. In the meantime I will keep the pool off, will let you know what happens. Thanks so much for the info and the help.

Old 09-30-07, 08:19 PM
G
pool still leaking

Todrut, I did leave the pool on and off but could not tell what was what except the pool is still leaking. I did have a guy to show up on Sat to check out all of the fittings including behind the light, skimmer and both jets. He had something that looked like a long string with something that looked like a little mike on the end. He found nothing but he did dive and put putty in the main drain.Said he will come back later this week to do a pressure test on the line.

Problem: Today I noticed that when I turned the main drain off with the valve (sk was open) there is a water coming out of the jets in the pool just as strong as though the main drain is still open.Am I right to think that the main drain should not have a strong flow from the jets when the valve to the main drain is shut off? Also I am told that if I he has to dig to fix a leak it would cost more.

Old 09-30-07, 11:27 PM
Wink

Dont know the pipe set up you have there, But first if you drain the pool . First find the underground pipe for the ground pump and run it for a day. If you dont the pool will pop up out of the ground there. I have had 4 pools down there in west palm so trust me . Now with the bottom drain off you should get the water from the skimmer. Now I had two pools that leaked and it was the pipe in ground on both from the skimmer to the pump. It was broke so with the pump off the water till went out in it to the ground. Had to cut a hole in the deck and dig down to fix it. On some a Pvc plug will screw in the skimmer.Or get a PVC fitting to fit it and put a 3 ft pipe on it dont need a cap . Keep the pump off and see if the water goes down. If it does Id get PVC plugs and put one in each jet. They will screw in and see if the water goes If not its back to the pool itself then . You dont say how old the pool is. New code calls for that vent pipe on the main bottom drain . Is that pipe ok ????

Old 10-01-07, 06:17 AM
G
thanks so much.but I don't understand about finding an underground pipe. I am a woman and can not dive to check to see if a vent pipe is in the main drain. what I was trying to explain is this. When I have the pump running, I was tring to check why the main drain was not closing off properly. I opened the valve to the skimmer, closed the valve to the main drain . Now there is a lot of suction in the skimmer but at the same time the water has a strong flow from the jets in the pool. In order to use my automatic cleaner I need to close the main drain.

The pool has to be around 35 years old. You think I need to drain the pool completely to find the leak? Do you think I should let the guy do a pressure test. Needless to say I have become a bit paranoid. He did dive down and put some kind of putty in or around the main drain . Now it rained so hard last night I can't tell how much the pool leaked overnight. I am in one more mess. also the PH has gone up to 8.0 The pool came with the house. The last owners had it built so I don't know all the particulars about the pipes. Thanks so much for the help.I don't see any water leaking from around the pump or the sand filter tank.

Old 10-01-07, 11:36 AM
Wink

Now there is a lot of suction in the skimmer but at the same time the water has a strong flow from the jets in the pool.[QUOTE]
There will be. What you want to check here is that the pipes are good. thats why with the pool full put plugs or caps on the jets and the intake pipe there in the skimmer. with the pump off for a day or two. Then see if the water goes down. If not its in the pipes from the pool to the pump

Ok 35years old I dont think you will have that vent pipe I spoke of. But you have to have a pipe outside of the pool that goes down under the pool. This is the one you put a pump on and run it for a day or so BEFORE you take the water out of the pool. If you dont down there the pool will pop up out of the ground. The other way to go is pump the water out of the pool FAST then put a hole in the bottom of the pool right away. This will let ground water into the pool. If you look any of the big pool companys there have a pop out insurance when they work on the pools.

Old 10-01-07, 02:03 PM
G
thanks so much. I think I finally understand a little bit more than before. Ok I will not empty the pool. I will just get the plugs from the pool store and plug up the skimmer, return lines and see what happens. I did not understand this before.

Yes , I do see pipes going in the ground around the pump, and the skimmer and main drain valves. I also have a kool deck patio and I guess the pipes are under there. Gee, I sure hope not. The rain is so heavy right now in Miami that the pool has filled back up and I can not tell how much water the water is going down. I will need to wait for the rain and storms to let up. thanks so much, will let you know what happens after I buy the plugs. thanks so much for the infor and the help.

Old 10-01-07, 02:59 PM
When you had the pool off did you measure how much it lost in 24hours? And did you measure how much was lost in 24hours running?

An accurate measure is helpful, not just a guess.

Old 10-01-07, 08:39 PM
G
when it was running I lost about an inch when I turned it off it was so hard to measure because the rain will not let up and it is still raining so hard and so much water is now in the pool. I was told earlier to put plugs in the pool and leave it off to see what happen. There is so much flood rain right now I can't get a hold of things as the pool keep on filling up.

Right now I have the pool off, trying to wait for the rain storm to quit. I think I will be able to tell a little more of what I am doing . With the rain sending the water level up I am getting confused. I will also get a friend to go back to the pool store and get some plugs but like I said my delemina is the rain will not stop so I can tell . even though I have it off now I can not be sure of the water loss.

Old 10-01-07, 08:51 PM
G
sorry I made a mistake. when it was off I lost about an inch but I turned it back on and got totally confused due to the rain. I am going to try to wait until the storms pass over so that I can get a good handle on things. thanks so much for the advice.

Old 10-01-07, 10:22 PM
Is it on a timer? Did you notice water loss when running or off if on a timer?

Depending on how pool is plumbed if you put plugs in returns and it does not leak, you can assume leak is there. However unless you are going to put a plug in main drain you won't be able to rule it out.

Old 10-01-07, 10:35 PM
Wink

With the ground water there you dont have to plug the bottom drain. you do have to plug the skimmer thats a screw in and all the jets they will screw out. If you check you can get screw in plugs at Home depot and Lowes in the PVC is where to fit them all. Be sure and turn the pump off .

Old 10-02-07, 07:49 AM
G
ok, I will do that. A friend said he would come over and get the plugs for me and try to help me. However, with the rain water up so high I dont know how long it will take for the pool to leak back down again. Should I let some of the water back out of the pool. I do not have a timer, I turn the pool on by hand. In any event, I will not be able to plug up the main drain myself because I can not stay underwater long enough so I will just have to try with the skimmer and the jets.

I water from the rain is causing me a problem concerning the measurement of the water.Right now the water is all the way up to the top of the pool from the rain.

Old 10-02-07, 07:56 AM
G
before the rain started I noticed the water went down when the pool was off. I am going to wait for my friend to come over and help me . If the pool keeps filling back up with rain water that is going to interfer with me trying to see what is really happening. What do you think I should do. Should I let the water back out just below the tile line?

Old 10-02-07, 03:05 PM
Wink

Most pool lines for fill are half way in the tile line. The bottom of the tile most of the time is at the bottom of the skimmer.. Yes take the water down below the top of the pool . Thats so it dont go out at the top of the pool where the deck sets on it.

Old 10-02-07, 03:55 PM
G
ok, I have the skimmer and the two jets plugged up. the man at home depot gave me pvc caps which did fit tight over the jets after I screwed the little eyeball things off the jets.

These caps seem to fit tight over the jets. so it should work out ok.
Now I have the pool off now, made a mark on the tile so I will know where the water level is now. Do I need to turn the valves off to the skimmer and the main drain while everything is plugged up or will it make a difference.I really do appreciate the help. thank you. If the water still drop down, does this mean that something else is wrong.?

Old 10-02-07, 04:13 PM
Wink

If the water still drop down, does this mean that something else is wrong.?
Yes . This will tell us that its not in the pipes ,that the pipes are all good.

Just keep the pump off for sure.

Old 10-02-07, 04:21 PM
G
ok thanks, i will give it until tomorrow afternoon which will make the 24 hours.

Old 10-02-07, 10:57 PM
G
my maiden name is Gary so I use it all the time on line. I have no reason to say i am a woman if i am not .I am sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I am just trying to get help with my pool like everyone else. If you can help me also i will appreciate it very much as I seem to have a major problem, thank you so much

Old 10-03-07, 03:00 PM
G
It has been 24 hours now with the pool plugged up and pump off. the water dropped just about 1/2 inch in the 24 hours. It was so hot today that this could or could not be evaporation.

usual it leaks much more than this. I am afraid that the leak might be somewher in the line. I have a kool deck patio and I am so afraid that it will have to be broken up if the leak is somewhere in the line.

Now I read about some pool leak stuff that you can pour in the pool and let pool run for 24 hour and if the leak is small this stuff will search the leak out and find it. My question is do you thin its worth a try or will I open myself up to further damage from putting this stuff in the pool, do you know of anyone who has tried it with any degree of success?

Hate to whine, but I am afraid I am in for a big, big bill.
Open to any suggestions. thanks

Do you think I should run the pump for 24 hours(taking out the plugs) and see what happens?

Old 10-03-07, 07:47 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool some more ideas

If you are on friendly terms with the previous owners you may want to ask them who built the pool. Then ,,if that company is still in business give them a call and describe what you have. Ask if they have any idea's on what may be leaking. If u r on really,really ,good terms with previous owners ask them if they had any problems with the pool. After that i would just pick a pool company out of yellow pages and call one and ask them. Asking is free.

Also,,if u have pool parties,,especially with kids,, they will splash and make waves that leave the pool . This will lower the water level alot !!!

If the problem is with an underground pipe leak i can only suggest. It may be possible to run some above ground flexible plastic pipe and cap off the pipes where they go underground to stop a leak. Wont look nice but has possibilities.
If the water level has stopped or slowed down after the pump is off that sorta sounds like its the pumps discharge line.

You said someone advised to let the pool leak and see where the level is when it stops leaking. That is a very good idea.

Another idea is if you have older children or young adults that you can trust in the pool offer them a $10 reward if they can find a leak. Make sure to supervise. Give them a soda pop even of they cant find it as a reward for their time.

gascan says,,i used to have a pool,,, pools are alot of work,,
,,,good luck

Old 10-03-07, 08:54 PM
G
thanks so much.those are real good ideas. As for the previous owners, I have no idea where they are now. They moved out of state.

I will take your suggestion about calling a pool leak company even though I know it will be quite expensive if they have to dig under the concrete. I hope the leak is somewhere easy to get to. I will see though If I can get a young person to look for the leak,don't know anyone off hand right now.

I will give it to Friday, and after that if I have not had any luck i will just 'bite the bullet' and pay a company to come out and fix it.

O, forgot.right now I turned the pump back off as it seems to leaking faster than when I had it off. You see, right now the rain has stopped so i can tell more better as to how the leak is going, It seem to leak faster with the pump running.I appreciate all the help and advice that everyone has give me.

Old 10-04-07, 02:21 PM
Wink

It has been 24 hours now with the pool plugged up and pump off. the water dropped just about 1/2 inch in the 24 hours. It was so hot today that this could or could not be evaporation.
With that it sounds like its not in the pipes.

usual it leaks much more than this.

So you could have a leak in the pipe and the pool?????

Id start with the pipes . You can saw that deck out so you can dig . Thats what I did.The way they put pools in down there. I think if you go to city hall they will have a print on this [pool

Old 10-04-07, 04:16 PM
G
Thanks so much for the advice.What i want to try is this stuff called 'pool leak' Do you think this is something I could try before I call in the leak specialist.

I have tried everyting, so now i think I might try the pool leak stuff.what do you think? Also I will try city hall for info and maybe that will be some help also. In the meantime, do you think I will do myself more harm using the pool leak stuff?

Thanks for the advice

Old 10-04-07, 05:03 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
take a look at this web address

Hi,

I posted this link for a simple way to test for pool leaks that comes from the pro's.

It covers evaporation & plumbing leaks

http://www.poolleak.info/solutions/bucket_test.php

If u post the name of the pool leak stuff we can look at their web page if they have one and give u a better idea of what their product is safely used on..

good luck,,,,,gascan

Old 10-05-07, 11:56 AM
G
tied of trying, giving up

ok, The name of the leak stuff is 'fix a leak' sold on the poolcenter.com site. price $29.00 for 22,000 gallons of water.

I also called in a pool leak specialist company, they will come in on Saturday (providing the rain holds up, if not then on Monday) to check everything out.Usually I can follow instructions and get help, but this has got the best of me.

I will let you know the results from the leak specialist tomorrow. Thanks so much for the advice.all of you have been so patient in trying to help me.

Old 10-06-07, 06:41 PM
G
Thumbs up at lastttttt, my pool has stop leaking

Thank God and thanks to Todrut,Ed Imeduc and Gascan, and everyone that tried to help me and all the good advice.

Even though I did not have the brains to fix the leak myself or the strength, the knowledge that I gained from you all helped me to intelligently tell the leak specialist what was going on such as I had already plugged and unplugged , ran on,shut off , shut off and everything else.

Good news, this infor helped him find the leak within minutes.
And as you might have suspected, the leak was in the pipe right behind one of the jets. He had to cut a hole in the patio, saw the water running out, had to cut and repair the pipe.,also fixed a leak in the pipe right by the valve going in the ground where you shut off the main drain. He also repaired the patio with cement and mede it look good.

Now, this whole ordeal cost a pretty penny but I am glad the leak is fixed and the pool is looking good.

I see from the work he had to do, I never could have done it as I do not have the strength or the tools to do that kind of a job. Just want to thank all of you for the help and the knowledge so I could explain everything to The leak Specialist.

Thank a million, keep up the good work, and God Bless!!