Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

What is this stuff and how do I get rid of it?

What is this stuff and how do I get rid of it?

Old 10-01-07, 09:30 AM
Question What is this stuff and how do I get rid of it?

I had my pool re-plastered about two years ago. A month or two ago I noticed there are hard, sharp "drips" on the plaster. These things are about two or three inches long and maybe 1/8" wide. Are these calcium or mineral deposits? Is this a failure of the original plaster job? Any insight on this is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-07, 02:53 PM
Hard to say, it could be calcium. Something similar to what you descibed can be caused by adding to much acid. I would check with company that plastered pool.

Old 10-02-07, 03:19 PM
The neighbor's pool guy was in the area today so my wife asked him his opinion. He said it appears as though the gunite is pushing through the plaster. He said this is not uncommon in places where the plaster was applied too thinly. He recommended having somebody get into the pool with an appropriate grit sandpaper and knock down the spots.

Does this sound reasonable? Sounds like hooey to me. If the plaster was applied too thinly and the gunite is poking through I'm going after the clowns that plastered the pool. Thoughts?

Old 10-02-07, 08:28 PM
It is possible the plaster was put on thin, I would definately be calling the plastering company. Good luck...

Old 10-03-07, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the time & wisdom, I REALLY appreciate it!

Old 12-12-07, 12:45 AM
what is this stuff....

I would be willing to bet this weeks paycheck that you shock your pool with granular shock.Cal-HYpo. What you are seeing is calcium deposits. It is things like this that give pool guys a bad name when they really don't deserve it.(some do) These deposits can be knocked off or rubbed off with a pool block. Pumice stone. Water balance is tricky for most homeowners so have your water checked by a pool pro at least once a month.When you do here's how to tell if you have a good pool guy or not. Does he give you a copy of the pool water report? If you are checking the water regularly you will not need all of the balance chemicals every time. You should not be spending hundreds of dollars everytime you walk thur the door. You will need chlorine and ph control on a weekly basis, but your other chemicals once you have them balanced will only need minor adjustments monthly or bi-monthly. Gunite does not "poke thur" pool plaster . Gunite is an old term no longer used by anyone but pool guys. What the pool is made of is shotcrete. With pool plaster as the pool finish. I have seen pool plaster etched to the point of needing to be redone in less than a year by improper water balance. Which will not and can not be covered by any warranty.You are lucky ,your water was unbalanced in the opposite direction instead of etching it is scaling,leaving deposits. Your plaster is made mostly of calcium and high calcium levels along with high ph (common in plaster pools) leads to scaling conditions. A little elbow grease and a pumice stone should fix the problem. For those out there who think water can't etch a pool finish when not balanced I suggust a trip to the Grand Canyon. It was formed by unbalanced water flowing over a very hard surface.Hope this helps.