IN Line Chlorinator Replacement

Old 10-04-07, 01:36 PM
IN Line Chlorinator Replacement

Can some one advise me on how best to replace my Hayward CL 100 In line Cholirinator? I have an in ground pool and the Chorinator has quit working and needs replacment due to corrosion. (The check valve broke off).

I want to do this myself but have never worked with PVC before. I went on the Hayward website but they don't have installation instructions. Looks pretty much like a basic plumbing task to remove and replace, but since I'm not a plumber that fact doesn't give me a warm fuzzy. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-07, 01:56 PM
Wink

I pulled mine out went to liquid chlorine Thats 10% at the pool store. But --- Get the new unit set it by the line where the old one is. Home depot or lowes will have all the PVC fittings you will need and the cement to use on the pipe. They also have a pipe cutter or saw to use or just a hack saw will do to cut the pipe. Be sure and use sch. 40 PVC pipe

Old 10-04-07, 03:09 PM
I would suggest replacing with a rainbow offline chlorinator or if you prefer the hayward offline. You will just have to drill 2 holes in pipe and cut out old chlorinator and replace piece of pipe.

Old 10-05-07, 06:39 AM
Thanks Todrut and Ed, both very good suggestions. But Ed your decision to go with liquid chlorine 10% instead of an in-line chlorinator sounds interesting. How often do you have to put it in the pool and is it more costly than the Chlorine tablets over time?
What I liked about the In line Feeder is that I just fill it up with 3" tablets, adjust the flow rate and forget about it. Although I might be willing to try the liquid chlorine 10% if it isn't something that had to be done too frequently and works just as well.
I'm particulary concerned about the winter months when I cover my pool. Can the liquid chlorine be added to the skimmer rather than poured directly into the pool?

Old 10-05-07, 08:27 AM
I've been in the pool business 21 years, I do not suggest liquid chlorine. It is dangerous both getting it home and adding to pool, it has a PH of 12.0ppm(must use PH down), as stated it is only 10% available chlorine, 90% inert ingredients(granular chlorine and tabs 78%-90% available chlorine), it can not be put in vessel and go away for a few days, its harder on the eyes and skin.
Just my opinion, observations, and knowledge...

Old 10-05-07, 02:57 PM
Thanks again. I appreciate all the advice and will stick to the in lin feeder for sure. I'l let you all know how it all turns out. Hav e agreat weekend!