Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

? about closing in-ground pool for extended length of time

? about closing in-ground pool for extended length of time

Old 10-22-07, 09:05 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post ? about closing in-ground pool for extended length of time

Hi All,

Looking to find out if it's possible to close an in-ground pool for longer than the winter season, and if so, how to do that.

We have a situation where my bro-in-law became severely disabled recently - quadrapliegic from MS symptoms, and my sis's family needs to cut expenses to afford to live in the house. They scraped up money to pay to have the pool professionally closed a month or so ago. They would like to keep it closed indefinitely (maybe 2-3 years) to save the expense of maintaining the pool. Is this possible and for how long? The pool is concrete with ceramic tile covered with a solid cover. It does not have a liner. I figured that what we'd be up against is staining from algae and minerals in the water if left untreated. They need the pool in decent shape when they go to sell the house so they're not sure what to do.

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-07, 10:33 AM
It is pretty easily done. 1st is it a completely solid cover or does it have a drain in the center. If it is a solid with a pump on top to keep excess water off thenyou're in good shape. All that will need to be done is to add some chlorine to pool a few times a year. You can purchase a floating chlorinator for about 10.00 and fill with tabs and set for the smallest amount and let float refill every 3-4 months. You will also want to add a quart of stain control twice a year, just pour under cover into pool. maintain water level about 10" below tile. Keep top of cover free of debri and water and you should be in good shape for a few years.

Old 10-24-07, 06:59 PM
K
Thanks for the advice!

Thank you so much for your advice. We keep hearing (from pool maintenance guys of course) that we will ruin the pool if we don't open and close it every season. I appreciate you sharing your expertise.

Regards,
Kathleen