leaking/cracked Caretaker valve housing

Old 10-27-07, 05:04 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
leaking/cracked Caretaker valve housing

I have a Caretaker in-floor cleaning system, the valve housing has small crack where the pressure gauge goes. The housing is a dome with a little kind of a 'nipple' sticking out towards the top of the dome where the pressue gauge connects, there is a small crack at the top of that 'nipple'.

I don't have the cash to replace it and am wondering if I might be able to repair it. My thought is to get a 1.5" or 2" steel nipple and epoxy it in place, then use an elbow on that to connect the gauge. Another thought is to just epoxy a plug in altough a pressure gauge is desired.

Any thoughts?
Would steel be o.k. or should I use brass or maybe even stainless? I can not recall seeing brass or stainless at hardware stores so I wouldn't know where to get that........

Thanks for your suggestions/thoughts
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-07, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You should not use steel because of the rust. Use brass or stainless. you can use an epoxy but make sure you get in the crack good on both sides and let set for 48 hours before putting back into service. You can epoxy a pressure gauge in there or you can seal the crack, then use drill and tap to make new hole a little smaller if possible.