OK to use pump to pump pool antifreeze?

Old 11-02-07, 09:23 AM
OK to use pump to pump pool antifreeze?

I need to pump some of the pool antifreeze into my lines. It contains ethyl alcohol and propylene glycol. The pump I was going to use is a small electric water pump that has connectors for a hose on inlet and outlet. It says not to pump highly flammable liquids. I didn't know if the antifreeze would be considered highly flammable as it does have ethyl alcohol. Of note, the pump was purchased to pump out the home heating oil from my old tank. The company that supplies my oil said that it is ok to pump home heating oil (which is essentially diesel fuel) because it is not going to ignite like gasoline would. anyone know about pool antifreeze?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-07, 09:36 AM
Wink

Boy for the pool Id use the R/V antifreeze. Not the ethyl alcohol and propylene glycol kind . Thats for cars.

Old 11-02-07, 10:08 AM
you're asking for trouble if you put car antifreeze in a pool. There is antifreeze made just for pools, your local pool store will have it. Don't take chances, make sure to blow the lines out before adding antifreeze.

Old 11-02-07, 11:05 AM
this is pool antifreeze! I bought it at pool place and it has instructions for pool use. It is not at all like car antifreeze which is ethylene glycol (which is traditional antifreeze) or pure propylene glycol (new "safe" antifreeze) This is propylene glycol AND ethyl alcohol mixture. it is much thinner in viscosity than car antifreeze and very light pink tint. It is peppermint scented.

Old 11-02-07, 02:18 PM
Sorry, I must have read wrong, it is ok to pump with your pump, shouldn't hurt anything, pool antifreeze is not flammable.

Old 11-02-07, 03:26 PM
Is the level of ethyl alcohol too low? I know ethyl alcohol is flammable. That is alcohol you drink and you can set it on fire.

Old 11-02-07, 04:20 PM
I don't know about the contents of the antifreeze, but I do know it is not flammable. It is rated as non toxic so it could not be flammable.

Old 11-04-07, 07:27 AM
Well I was able to find website of the company that makes the pool antifreeze I bought-(www.camco.net). They have two types, one is propylene glycol base and the other is alcohol base (with propylene glycol in it also) The MSDS were not available so I don't know the concentrations or flash point. The place were I bought it didn't have the other kind. It does say combustible on the container so I am not sure if safe to pump it or not. I am sure they can email me MSDS. what would be safe flash point to be able to pump it.