Spa lifted up from ground

Old 11-07-07, 01:38 PM
Spa lifted up from ground

Our spa is approximately 20 years old and is partially inground.

For the past few years, one side of the spa has started to lift up off the base- below is a link to the photo of the spa. Any ideas or suggestions would be approeciated.

http://www.pplsuccess.com/images/spa.jpg

--------------
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-07, 01:51 PM
Is it the spa lifting or the brick wall settling? It looks like either the bricks are falling or the tub is warping, I don't see how it would lift. What is tub sitting on underneath? Is it only happening on one end? Is there an access door to under spa?

Old 11-07-07, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The brick wall is solid...it actually sits on a thick concrete patio.

Visually, it does not appear to be warping, though I will discover for sure.

Not certain what it is actually sitting on.

It is lifting on 3 of the sides and the fourth side has moved slightly in, but not up.

No access panel of any kind.

I guess the question is...how difficult would it be (as a home DIY project) to lift it out and reset it?

-------------
Scott

Old 11-07-07, 03:15 PM
It depends on how the plumbing is under there. If they left flexible pvc so that you can lift tub it should be pretty easy. The only thing I can think of is if there is dirt washing under tub. It sounds like the tubis probably on concrete since the wall is. Sounds like warping. Have you drained the tub and tried to manipulate it down?

Old 11-07-07, 05:34 PM
Technically this is an inground installation and at least some of the spa shell is buried. What's happened is that it's literally floating out of the hole. Any time the water level in the spa drops to below the water level in the dirt/soil/sand surrounding the spa, it will float upwards. This may occur when you drain the spa. Also, the "dirt" around the spa doesn't actually have to be completely saturated with water for this to happen, it just has to be "wet enough". Also, the side that is not lifting is going to be the side where all the piping comes from the equipment (that plumbing is helping to hold down that side of the spa).

How hard to fix? Well, from what I can see in your little picture.... a difficult job!. It looks like the brick will have to come out, the spa reset, and then the brick work redone.

Last edited by twelvepole; 11-07-07 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Nonprogressive language edited.
Old 11-09-07, 06:38 AM
Thank you all. I guess it is time to drain and see if I can extract it from the base. I will post feedback.

--------------
Scott