Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Below ground inlets - winterizing help??? to blow out the heater

Below ground inlets - winterizing help??? to blow out the heater

Old 11-11-07, 07:54 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Below ground inlets - winterizing help??? to blow out the heater

Northeast region. 15 x 30 in ground. Sand filter. Gas Heater. Gunite. Inlets are jetted up through floor. One skimmer. I am not sure how to winterize those floor jets. I have a small pancake compressor and tapped the lines to blow out heater/pump/motor.
1. I had planned to lower the water level below skimmer, blow out the water, add pool anti-freeze and then seal it with one of those crushable tubes so expanding ice does not destroy skimmer.
2. It was suggested I simply pour anti-freeze into the main drain line and return line.
IS THIS OK??? what is the specific gravity of antifreeze? Will it leach out into the pool? will it stay on top of the water in those lines? My concern is any water laying in the pipes (within the frost line for NY)
3. My other plan was to put on scuba gear and remove the eyeball jets from the floor and plug them and then anti-freeze.
PLEASE HELP. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-11-07, 03:20 PM
First I'll need to know if your in floor returns are part of a cleaning system? Do you have a circular dome that is somewhere near equipment or in your yard around pool, it will have several pipes coming out of the ground into the bottom of it. If so this is where you'll winterize, let me know.

Old 11-11-07, 07:57 PM
S
Configuration as follows - separate skimmer and return lines (with union ball valves) protrude up from the ground into a standard pump with basket and then into a Hayward sand filter. From that point they pass through a gas heater and have a single return line entering the ground. This is about 25 feet from the pool. I have two floor jets, one skimmer and one main drain.
Hope this description helps. Thanks

Old 11-11-07, 08:18 PM
You will need to creat an air lock in your return line and the way to do that is you will need a ball valve on the return line after all equipment. Use a blower to blow water out of line and when floor bubbles shut off ball valve. This will lock the air in the line. Do the same thing with the main drain. The rest you can do as you described. Make sure to remove all equipment plugs and blow out equipment. Good luck...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: