Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

HELP! Automatic pool vacuum needs replacing...what should I buy?

Old 11-15-07, 06:53 AM

I'm finally fed up with replacing parts on my Jandy Ray Vac...I've been told it is the top of the line automatic pool cleaner, but over the past 5 years I must have spent $1,000 on replacement parts. Very expensive to maintain and very hard to find parts (nobody carries them...they must always be ordered).
Anyway...it is broken again and I'm looking for some good advice on a replacement vacuum. I have 15' x 30' in-ground pool that is screened so there isn't much in the way of large debris. Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!
- Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-07, 08:45 AM
Greg,

The jandy is a good cleaner but not top of the line. The cleaner for you is kinda a preference. However if you want an opinion, I would go with a polaris and make sure you use a sand/silt bag since you are screened in. The polaris 360 works without a booster pump like the jandy. If you want to spend money on a booster pump then I would recommend the 280.

What ever you decide, make sure not to run more than a couple hours everyother day or so. Never run a cleaner more than that.

Hope this helps..

Old 12-12-07, 10:26 PM
Cool Automatic pool vac.

I started in the pool business in florida many many moons ago. There most pools are screened ,here in alabama none are. With a screened in pool I have never found a pool that needed a polaris with a booster pump , The 360 that tod suggests is a good cleaner another option would be the polaris ATV . this cleaner runs off your skimmer and has no bag to have to replace . The dirt, screen dirt left after it rains would be sucked up and captured in the filter. This unit also stops and runs in reverse (still cleaning) from time to time so it is easier to set up and won't get stuck in a corner like some cleaners- For those of you without screens the new hayward phatom is an awsome cleaner that will come to the top of your pool and skim the surface then dive down and clean the bottom. Either way hayward and polaris are going to be the 2 easiest cleaners to buy parts for in the future because they are the 2 most common companies stocked by all pool stores.

Old 12-13-07, 08:29 AM
Thanks!

Really appreciate the input...thanks!