Best chem to clean spa filter

Old 03-27-08, 12:52 PM
Thumbs down Best chem to clean spa filter

Hi,
I have two simple questions...

I have a 300 gal Hydro Spa hot tub called the "Endurance".

1) What's a recommended way to clean the filter between water changes? I've been using a TSP soaking solution, but I realize I'm adding phosphates to the environment when I dumpout the soak bucket. Is there something else?

2) I'm getting some black spots/stains on the spa shell lining. Any idea what it is and how to get it off?

BTW, I check the H20 chemistry frequently with chem strips and always keep the water a hair on the alkaline side (so acidity won't eat away at the spa workings).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Majac777

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-08, 01:04 PM
Best way to clean cartridges is to soak them in a bucket of hot water and 2-3 tbls of cascade dishwasher detergent for 4 hours or overnight, rinse well before putting back into spa.

As far as black spots, tell me more, is it a stain? Does it come off? Is it rough? Please describe..

Old 03-27-08, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by todrut View Post
As far as black spots, tell me more, is it a stain? Does it come off? Is it rough? Please describe..
No, does not comeoff; it's not rough--just an irregularly shaped smooth blackened area--several of them. My well wather is very hard water. Could this be the problem?

Thanksagain for your reply.

Majac777

Old 03-27-08, 06:40 PM
Well water could be the problem, I've never seen in hot tubs, but sounds like black algea. Have you tied scubbing with some steel wool (very lightly) don't scratch the tub. If it does, I would treat for black algea, local pool store will have what you need.

Old 03-28-08, 09:05 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by todrut View Post
Best way to clean cartridges is to soak them in a bucket of hot water and 2-3 tbls of cascade dishwasher detergent for 4 hours or overnight, rinse well before putting back into spa.
Will the Cascade break down the oils/greasy stuff from one's body--on the filter?

Thanks, Majac777

Old 03-28-08, 09:12 AM
Absolutely, its the best product I have found to do it. I've been using and adviseing cascade for 18 yrs.

Old 03-28-08, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Amazing what Cascade (or similar products) will disolve. Look what it takes care of in your dishwasher.

Try this sometime...take yer dirty glass coffee carafe from your coffeemaker, put 2-3 tablespoons of auto dishwasher detergent in, swirl with some hot water to disolve, then fill to the top. 3-5 min later perfectly clean. This also works with something like Calgon bath water softener.

Crusty dirty burned pan from those fried pork chops? Fill pan with water, heat to almost boil, sprinkle dishwasher detergent evenly and pretty heavily over surface (caution, it will foam up briefly), then cover and let sit for a few hrs or overnight. The stuff will slide right off.

Sorry, just did both those, so fresh in my mind when I saw the thread.

Old 03-28-08, 04:20 PM
The reason dishwasher detergent, ESPECIALLY Cascade, works so well, is that it's high in phophates (as in TSP, tri sodium phosphate).

Old 03-28-08, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Oh crapola rinse well after use!!!