planning new pool install and questions

Old 03-28-08, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question planning new pool install and questions

I've been trying to plan a pool and have received some conflicting information. I'm hoping to get some unbiased answers.
1) One of the pool companies says salt systems deteriorate pools & equipment so they won't install salt. Another company swears by them - and they installed a pool for my friends a few years back - my friends are still very pleased. Are salt systems really that bad?
2) If I don't install salt, I was considering ozone along with a water softener (sodium tetraborate). Any recommendations/experiences with this?
3) I have 3-phase power already in my house. One company recommends to install a 3-phase pool pump & says it will pull 2 amps instead of 11 amps. The other company says that 3-phase equipment is more costly up front and I'll get just as much savings in operating costs by installing a Hayward Tristar 2hp 2speed pump. Will 3-phase yield significant power savings or should I stick with the 2speed pump?

Thanks in advance for any advice on these 3 points!

Old 03-29-08, 07:24 AM
Please read in your quote for answers to your question, hope this helps...
Originally Posted by dneves View Post
I've been trying to plan a pool and have received some conflicting information. I'm hoping to get some unbiased answers.
1) One of the pool companies says salt systems deteriorate pools & equipment so they won't install salt. Another company swears by them - and they installed a pool for my friends a few years back - my friends are still very pleased. Are salt systems really that bad? Salt systems are great, will NOT deteriorate, actually will preserve.
2) If I don't install salt, I was considering ozone along with a water softener (sodium tetraborate). Any recommendations/experiences with this? ozone is another good way to go, you'll be almost chlorine free this way. Also very good..
3) I have 3-phase power already in my house. One company recommends to install a 3-phase pool pump & says it will pull 2 amps instead of 11 amps. The other company says that 3-phase equipment is more costly up front and I'll get just as much savings in operating costs by installing a Hayward Tristar 2hp 2speed pump. Will 3-phase yield significant power savings or should I stick with the 2speed pump? I would not go 3 phase in residential apps, the cost of equipment compared to any possible savings is not worth it. Stick with the tristar.
Salt or ozone is going to be a personal preference, depends on if you want the chlorine or not. I prefer salt system.
Thanks in advance for any advice on these 3 points!

Old 03-29-08, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback Todrut. I'm feeling even better about both pool companies that I've narrowed it down to - it seems that both are partial to their own equipment and way of doing things but both seem good ways to go overall.
I'm still considering the 3phase but leaning toward the Tristar. The quoted cost for the 3 phase vs the tristar seems negligible (when I compare the 2 pool companies' quotes). The company recommending the Tristar indicated a more costly upfront install, but the other company tells me that cost will be offset by my current electrical setup combined with the fact that I don't need as expensive of a remote to run it. I am glad to hear another opinion in favor of the Tristar though.
I still have a question about the Sodium Tetraborate though. Will that really make the water feel soft like a pool with a salt system? If so, how is the maintenance on it?
Finally, a totally new question - I'm planning to add a water feature - a "sheer descent" waterfall or a few "scuppers". Does the water feature need a separate pump or can it share the spa pump? I'm thinking I probably won't use both simultaneously - is this recommended or am I trying to save money in the wrong place?

Old 03-29-08, 11:51 AM
Wink

I think if you check a 3phase set up for just a pool in a home dont pay . Yes in large set ups it good . But not for what you will have there.
Yes Salt systems are great about all you have to do is keep the element clean.
Id run it all on one pump. Just have to make sure the intake and return pipeing is all set up right to work right

Old 03-29-08, 04:41 PM
where is the Sodium Tetraborate question coming from? Who told you about it and what did they tell you? Sodium Tetraborate is BORAX, you do not want it in your pool.

The sheer descent can be used with the same pump as pool or spa provided it is big enough to handle both. I is simply putting in a 3-way valve to control flow. If you are automating your system then you will use a automated 3-way so you can control with the push of a button. I have built pools both ways both work well unless it is a huge water feature the requires an actual waterfall pump.

Old 03-30-08, 03:20 PM
S
never one to remain on the sidelines ,

1. definitely prefer a chlorine generating system , water feels nice & silky, no smell , no eye irritations. have installed so many and many different brands for others I personally prefer the unit made by auto-pilot as its completly digital, tells you how much salt to add, you can change the reversing time, & when the temps fall it will still make chlorine unlike many of the other units, cells are not as expensive as some of the cheamer ones, it has a 24 hr. or 72 hr. super boost cycle check out the web site, they are located in florida, & have been in business probably the longest.

2. a 3 phase pump will definitely save money to run , you pay for ele. acording to watts , however the more the amps the more the watts the more it will cost,

3. an alternative i would suggest you look at the pentair varitable flow pumps, they are super quiet, move alot of water for less money & they are basically a 3 phase pump running off 220 vac expensive however a lot of ele. companys are giving $200.00 rebates to the homeowners
for installing this pump

4. if you wish to use your sheer descent while in the spa it is would be necessary to install a dedicated pump for this, depending upon the width of the sheer descent & hight would dictate the size pump needed. ususlly 1/2 to 3/4 hp works fine, but then again depends on how large & hight.
usually need 10 gpm per ft. as a rule of thumb.

steve

Old 04-04-08, 10:27 AM
Question

Thanks for all the advice. Here's what's on the contract, pending gas quotes:
~15000 gal pool (rounded up) + spa
Hayward 2 Hp 2 spd pump
Pentair legend pool cleaner
spa - 6 jets, 1 hp blower
400,000 BTU heater
3 ft sheer descent
booster pump
ozone system

(I decided not to go 3phase - I found out that if the power company decides to rerun lines, I'd have to pay to rerun the 3phase line again, and it doesn't look like the savings would be that much over the 2 speed.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: