Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

What are the potential issues & costs with an empty plaster pool?

Old 04-09-08, 06:29 AM

Hi All,
I am currently considering purchasing a house that has a plaster pool (a medium size play pool). About 3 days ago they drained the pool because it was starting to get green (its a bank owned property, so there isn't any electricity to run the pump). I am in the Phoenix area, and it has been above 80 degrees for quite some time.

My understanding is that the plaster could crack and that it could run 3K+ to replaster.

What are the potential fixes/issues and costs of this? Is there a way I can DIY to fix any cracked plaster?

Any help is appreciated, as I want to gain a better understanding of what I am getting into.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-08, 09:09 AM
Most common issue I have heard of with empty pools, other than the safety factor and neighborhood kids using it as a skate park is that if the water table rises, it can literally pop the pool right out of the ground.

Old 04-09-08, 09:22 AM
Thanks Pendragon.

Any chance you know how I might be able to determine the water table level?

Also, if it does pop out, what are the potential costs range?

How long does it take for a pool to pop out? (This pool will most likely be empty for a total of 40 days).

I realize that there are a lot of factors that go into costs, I am just looking for a ball park range..

Thanks, any help, advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Old 04-09-08, 10:46 AM
Wink

Any chance you know how I might be able to determine the water table level?
Id ask around there as fast as I can. Anyone that lives around there. Might ask city hall. I dont think its anything like in FL.

Also, if it does pop out, what are the potential costs range?
What ever the cost of a new pool there is. In FL. a 15X30 was about $25K

A new marsite job for a pool .Its not a easy DIY job for sure. Have to work to fast.

Old 04-11-08, 08:58 PM
Quote "My understanding is that the plaster could crack"

I spent 7 years in Lake Havasu, in the pool business , & its not could crack it definitely will crack, & the longer it stays dry the worse it will be, I would personally call around to at least 3 different pool plasters in your area , give them the apx. diminsions of the pool & get a written quote to replaster the pool, then if you decide to go ahead with your purchase you will at least have an intelligent base to negoitate with the seller to bring the pool back to an acceptable condition.

steve

Old 04-12-08, 06:36 AM
Thanks Stevie,
I was afraid you were going to say that It's bank owned, and the property is "as-is", so there isn't any negotiating. I either take it or I don't . It's a shame too, because the pool was filled when I saw the house, so when they empties it, they basically brought the value down themselves.

Thanks for the great advice!

Old 05-23-08, 01:27 PM
walking away is a form of negotiation. Fact is it's not "as-is" if they've changed something since you viewed the house. I'd tell them to fill it back up immediately if they want to do the deal. You might be surprised - banks don't want to be in the landlord business.

Old 08-21-08, 11:17 AM
will the pool rally pop?

I constantly hear about the concern of an emptied pool popping up. Doesn't this really pertain to the water table level and where you live?

I'm geting ready to empty my plaster/concrete pool for repairs and people make it sound like an almost certainty that lifting will happen. In Solvang (where I live) the entire summer ranges from 80 to 100 degrees with no rain.

There is no heav watering around my area and the lots are a good distance fro each other. I think someone should have a better statement about emptying pools than the patent answer.