hot tub breaker overheating/tripping

Old 04-08-08, 06:31 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hot tub breaker overheating/tripping

Hi there, please help!!!! Every time we turn on the heater for our hot tub the breaker unit (called a gfci unit??) gets very hot on the right side and trips out. It works for 3 minutes each time before tripping out, if we leave it for a few minutes before turning the heater back on it lasts slightly longer. I do not think the problem is related to the heater itself as this was replaced just 2 months ago. We did notice that the blue grounding wire leaving the breaker was damaged (blackened and melted), so we cut away the damaged piece and secured it back into the unit. We have checked all other wires incase they are loose or damaged, but they are fine Any suggestions as to why it is getting so hot and tripping????

Thanks

Old 04-08-08, 05:07 PM
D
It could be a bad heater... been there, done that, in less than 2 months :-)

Could also be a bad breaker, or could be you didn't cut out enough wire (even though the wire LOOKS good, it could still be damaged and putting out some resistance).

Have you tested the amp draw through the wire/system? That could tell a lot.

Old 04-09-08, 01:26 PM
L
Dr Spa, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I am a bit of a novice to this sorry, can I check the amp draw going through the wire/system myself or is this something I will need an electrician to do?

Old 04-09-08, 02:26 PM
D
All you need is an Amp meter. Radio Shack sells a combination volt/amp meter for around $20. The amp meter just clips around one wire and gives a reading when the power is on and the spa running (it's a bit confusing to read the meter, be sure to read the instructions).

Old 04-11-08, 10:45 AM
L
oh that does not sound too bad, I will give that a try then. Will that then let me know if the breaker or heater is at fault?

Old 04-13-08, 12:25 AM
L
I have spoken with the supplier of my hot tub and he is going to send me a new breaker unit and if that does not work a different type of heater. I will let you know what the problem is hen I find out for future reference. Thanks for all your help. Lou

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: